MP error when TV off or on a different HDMI port (1 Viewer)

hey__me

Portal Pro
March 12, 2009
This doesn't seem to be a consistent crash. However it seems that if the PC has lost it's HDMI connection for a long length of time MP needs to be restarted (usually have to force close alt-f4 doesn't work). OTher times MP only takes up the left side of the screen.
This is not something that I can reproduce at will. I will continue to post logs as it happens. Hopefully someone can find something useful in them.

Intel G45 Integrated Video with latest driver, Windows 7 64Bit professional

Attachments

• error.bak
    34.9 KB
  • MediaPortal.bak
    54.9 KB

GregorV

Portal Pro
October 2, 2007
Bonn
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: MP error when TV off or on a different HDMI port

Interesting - that could explain why MP is sometimes hanging on my MediaPC also.
When it happened, I found that it showed a changing picture while the TV was switched to another HDMI source.

These are my findings (the MP status when the TV is switched to another source)
If MP shows a picture with no changes (like start up screen) it never happens.
If MP is playing a Movie or TV it happens often, but apparently only after a longer time.
If MP is showing scrolling text (like TV details) it also can happen, but very rarely.
My system is XP-SP3, MP1.1.0 - Today I change to 1.1.1 but will monitor that.

hey__me

Portal Pro
March 12, 2009
New log file. No Error log this time, just it trying to resize and reset the device on a HDMI Change. Also strange is that the MCE remote configuration was no longer see the mappings.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.bak
    2.1 KB

DonBogo

Portal Pro
July 26, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
I was searching the forum for this issue.
HTPC with ATI 4200 (latest catalyst) connected to LG LCD TV via HDMI
If I switch off the television while MP in running (OR I simply change the TV input) when I go back to HDMI HTPC input MediaPortal is in the upper left corner:
- If "always on top" is selected MediaPortal continues to work even if it's rescaled in the upper left corner
- If "always on top" is NOT selected MP most of the times freezes and I have to kill him (maybe the MP screen is changed to weather with streamedMP skin).
I think that with no HDMI connection, the desktop resolution is forced to 800x600 or something like that, and when the windows desktop is restored to 1080p mediaportal don't change anymore it's resolution to full screen.
Any idea?
thanks

EDIT (some more test done):
back to MePo 1.1.2 (from 1.2 alpha); installed latest catalyst and tried some setting (manual detect display, overscan, GPU scaling) and no changes.

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
November 16, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Yep, I get the same thing happening. I am running a DG45ID motherboard using the onboard intel g45 video and hdmi out. Before, when i would switch from one source back to the MP source input on the TV, I would see it in the upper left corner, then after a second or 2, I would see it resize back to full screen. After upgrading, it just hangs in the upper corner and it frozen.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Thought I'd see if what you are talking about is as I noticed a while back... when I have ONLY the default HDMI audio device, MP gets testy when it goes away -- I had to add in another audio device, namely SPDIF, to be available when my HDMI isn't present... look here.

DonBogo

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thanks for the reply.
    I use only video via HDMI to the TV and audio is already sent by S/PDIF to a Denon amp.
    However I will do more test and see logs to understand if the issue is the graph and not the resolution.

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    My issue is that it didn't used to do this. Something changed somewhere and no MP is not really usable anymore.

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Any news on this?

I have the same issue with a hdtv monitor my tv server pc in the living room. For obvious reasons this particular pc is never powerd off, instead i let it go to standby via power scheduler. Only the monitor and receiver are being powered off.

The problem occurs when the pc wakes up for a scheduled recording while the monitor is off. In this situation, it is of course impossibe to power on the monitor before the pc. When I return to mp, I see a black square in the upper left corner of the screen.

The only workaround I know of so far is to shut down mp before allowing the pc to stand by.

I do not have enough knowledge of hdtv/edid communication, so please if somebody can provide a analysis, and perhaps a generic solution, I would very much appreciate it.

nominefi

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hello

I have this problem, and for the workaround i tested the next.
    If i´m watching tv or film with mediaportal and i switch off the monitor, MP stop the playback. I Know this because i use a receptor for audio and is no sound when i switch off the monitor. When i switch on, MP is in the left corner, for long time tv switch off, mediaportal is freeze.
    Out of mediaportal, if I´m playing a film with MPCHC and i turn off the monitor, the playback continue normaly, i have sound from my receptor, i can hear the film. But, if i´m watching tv whith the program of Technishat (dvbviewer) and i Switch off my monitor, the behaviour is the same as in Mediaportal, TV playback stop.

Sorry for my english, i hope be useful.

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom