MP in Issue 251 PCPlus mag. (1 Viewer)

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Anyone else seen the write up on MP in the latest edition of PCPlus? Part of general Media PC theme, MP is reviewed as the "Open Source" option. Gets *** (out of 5). Main criticisms:
    setup program is sep. and "over complex"
    the interface "looks good but isn't always easy to use"
    "Interface response time is slow"
    "TV playback isn't always as smooth as we would like"
    "occasional bugs locked the program up altogether"

Final comment:
    "For all of this we have to applaud what the authors have done so far: it's a huge project, and we're impressed. MediaPortal is frequently upgraded so by all means give it a try. Just don't expect the quality of a commercial product."

Other programs reviewed in the same artical:
    SageTV ****
    CyberLink PowerCinema 4 ****
    Microsoft MCE 2005 UR2 ****

The same issue contains a few reviews of HTPC hardware and also has a hands on article about using GB-PVR, so it is worth taking a look....

Andy

the_moose

Portal Member
    November 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I read these reviews - it was pretty interesting.

It amazes me that people give MCE a decent review. I use freeview (UK) tuners in my box and MCE just fails to deliver with loads of issues, including major guide problems and channels disappearing. My brother also tried running it on his completely different system and it failed for him as well. We both use Media Portal now with no problems at all. I suppose MCE must work for the majority ;-)

I have tried and tested all the reviewed software and MP comes out on top by far. I get the feeling they didnt do a lengthy review, as they would have stumbled on MCEs shortcomings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom