[confirm] MP just crashed - Possibly changing cards (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just had a MediaPortal.exe has stopped responding crash. Was just watching TV then it all just crashed. I have to end task on MP as the submit problem button also seemed to be locked up.

I managed to snap off the connector on my Compro DVB-S card so I took this out last night, disabled in TV config and the put the old Pinnacle 7010ix back in (with only one tuner enabled). Was watching a DVB-S channel on this card when the crash happened and I think a recording was about to start (is recording on DVB-S now)

Slighly confused though as it was MP that crashed and not tvservice?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    something odd going on as had another crash today whilst changing channel (which I think would have also changed card)

Logs do seem a little useless as again when MP crashed I tried to send error report but after about 10 mins I just killed mediaportal.exe a nothing was happening.

I have not seen anything like this since I started using 1.1 SVNs a few months ago.

The only change to the system is as above where I have taken out the Compro S300 card and put back the Pinnacle 7010ix. Since last night I have removed the Compro from TVservice and double checked that all bar one of the tuners on the Pinnacle is disabled

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Are you talking about the details of the Windows crash dialog? If so I don't have any details but according to event log crash was in MSCORWKS.DLL

In that case it was the same "random" crash that quite many users have seen... and we dont have a clue what is causing it. Last time I have seen it is approx two weeks ago, on my HTPC that is used few hours on daily basis. So quite impossible to debug as it is not reproducible more often. All that I know is that 1.0.2 is not affected as it was the previous version of MP that my HTPC has prior to 1.1.0 RC1.

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Can you check if it only crashes during .ts playback, then it is probably tsreader.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Can you check if it only crashes during .ts playback, then it is probably tsreader.

That was my first thought was well, but as Arion pointed out in the other thread it could be C# side buffer overflow (BEX is buffer overflow issue and the DLL is .NET core component).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I think he ment C side buffer overflow.

My personal opinion is that it is pure C++ side buffer overflow, but not 100% if Arion thinks the same :)

.NET adds guard cookies on the stack in each call, and if those are corrupt on return it throws the "buffer overrun" exception. However by the time you hit the exception all stack trace is lost and tracking the source of the problem is impossible. Not sure though that this is a TsReader issue.

I'll close this thread as it is better to discus in the one thread only.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom