MP on VM (1 Viewer)

clarkey2r

Portal Pro
February 9, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi All

Does anyone know how to get a working version of MP (with out TV) on a VM? I am wanting to setup a VM so I can test some plug-in's and mods etc but when I start MP up it hangs on 'Initializing DirectX'??

Thanks
Matt

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Not bothered using VMware for MP, but have used in past for other stuff.

What version are you using? (I had to manually edit the .vmx file in the past to enable support, no idea with newer versions)

clarkey2r

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Workstation 6

I think its down to the fact that the VM pc has not got a proper display driver?

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    VMware wont properly support DirectX acceleration - therefore you wont be able to run MP through a Virtual Machine.

I believe the newer version of VMware beta and other VM suites (like Virtualbox) have experimental support for directX, but its still too early in development to be useful.

romadd64

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I can confirm that MP works in a VM with VMWare Workstation 6.5, that has DirectX 9.0c support.
    The only supported guest OS is Windows XP.
    You must enable "Accelerated 3D Graphics" flag under Display in VM Settings.
    On MP you must use EVR.

romadd

serverhack

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi romadd64,

I installed the VM on 6.5 Workstation and graphics acceleration is working fine, but what is EVR?? I cannot reproduce sound inside MP but it works fine in VM windows.

Thanks, SHack

romadd64

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi serverhack,

EVR setting is in Mediaportal Configuration - DirectShow Filter Control - Video Render Settings. With my system VMR9 doesn't works but EVR does.
    Sound works fine with default settings in MP and VM. Have you tried launching dxdiag in VM ? Under the sound tab do you see any error ?

romadd

serverhack

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi,

i've reproduced all testing sounds under dxdiag and everything was heared, but at the end I received the following error:

"Your sound card is not compatible with storage hardware. The sound will be played only from software buffers"

In MP I have no sounds :(

Any idea? Thanks.

Hi,

i have disable sound hardware acceleration and it works now on MP.

Thanks a lot.

Serverhack.

romadd64

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Also TVServer works in a Workstation 6.5 VM.
    The TV Card must be USB to be assigned to the VM. I tried a Pinnacle 330e with success in a Vista x32 Guest over a Vista x64 Host.
    Please note the x64 -> x32 driver hop. Great work VMWare ;)

romadd

serverhack

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hey that¡s great. As you say "Good Work VM"!!!

It's a pity my TV card is PCI device.... :-(

Thanks a lot!!!

SHack :D

Users who are viewing this thread