Operating System MP on W7 w. same hardware less snappier? (1 Viewer)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi guys,

I am running my HTPC in a dual boot Xp/W7 (32-bit) and have disabled most of the unnecessary stuff but I really have the impression that MP on W7 is less responsive.
    What are your experiences, anyone that can confirm this?

Peter

memon01

December 22, 2010
    Hi guys,

I am running my HTPC in a dual boot Xp/W7 (32-bit) and have disabled most of the unnecessary stuff but I really have the impression that MP on W7 is less responsive.
    What are your experiences, anyone that can confirm this?

Peter

No such problem at my end. Might be the PC spec. XP is lighter on its feet anyway.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi memon01, I don't know what kind of hardware you are using.
    If my systemspecs are not sufficient for W7/MP, I guess that there will be quite a lot of users here that might be disappointed when making the switch.

golbe

Portal Member
    October 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I agree. also have dual boot w/win 7 recently installed and I prefer the responsiveness of xp.

Additionally with win7 I am having problems with H.264 video acceleration with my on board nvidia 82000. No such problems with xp though.

Dynamic refresh rate also works better in win xp (w/win7 it takes a while to readjust mediaportal to full screen)

Now that I have tried to optimize for three weeks mp&win7, I am back to xp and must say that I would not recommend win7 and do not see any advantage for an mp HTPC.

Regards

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi golbe, have you tried MP 1.2 BETA or the previous stable version?

Since I was not pleased and had to either switch back or bite the bullet and try 1.2, that's what I did and have to say that was a big improvement.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Back in 2008 I started with Win XP and MP, then switched to Vista which was a little improvement, because some codecs and HD TV worked much better with Vista. Now with win7 my experience it works a lot better then before when I had XP.. but I must say I did not go through the process of MP improvemnts on XP of course. But for other reasons I would not want to go back to XP.. I use the HTPC for other things as well.

In all these years the hardware remained the same, I only added a better GFX card (the on board GFX was not heavy enough for HD TV) a better USB wifi card and a 1 TB USB harddrive. Win 7 works very good on my system, much better then the bloated Win Vista I had before, it runs allmost 24/7

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    For Australian tv (mpeg2) Win7 is far better as it comes with a great video decoder with the OS.
    Now tho..there are things like CUVID(for nvidia cards) and SAF6(for all GPU cards).. which would work just as well in WinXP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom