MP & TV server successfully installed but... (1 Viewer)

clanmackenzi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Paris, France
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I’ve successfully installed and setup MP and TV server (1.0 RC2) but I seem to be missing something with the guide setup. I have configured WebEPG and when I run WebEPG.exe my network usage and hard disk activity goes through the roof for 10-15 mins, suggesting that the guide is being downloaded and written to disk.

Problem is that when I go back into MediaPortal I only have some data which I thing is coming from Sat guide grabber. The manual I think is based on standalone MP TV setup – I can’t find where to set path for tvguide.xml in TV-server or MP configuration nor does WebEPG.exe write said file to XMLTV folder, in fact a search cannot find the file anywhere.

Have I missed something obvious – do I have to install XMLTV plugin or WebEPG plugin…

Also:
    I am running this setup on an AMD dual core (4400+), 3GB Vista home basic system with a Technotrend S3200 Sat card c/w T-Rex cam and a Radeon X1900XT graphics card. I get standard TV channels without problem and with the powerDVD 7 codec I get a great picture. However, BBC HD is problematic – I have to shutdown MP and restart to tune to the channel but then I get a huge lag on audio (The picture is great and runs smoothly).

I suspect this is a codec problem – does anybody have any advice.

Thanks

GF__74

Portal Member
    June 8, 2008
    Akl, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I recently set up a very similar system using an HVR3000, getting Freeview in NZ via DVB-S. I did not need to run any external EPG grabbing program. I just configured it in TV-Server configuration to get it and next time i looked it was there.

I guess it depends if you can get the EPG from sat or whether you need to download it through a web-based grabber.

Have you configured TV-Server to grab the EPG for the channels you have 'tuned'?

GF

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    you are probably missing (like i did) the xmltv plugin bit in tvserver plugins... configure the file location etc and then you need to go to the mapping section of the plugin config and make sure all the mappings are correct once you do this the the tv server will import all the xmltv guide info in.

Im surprised that you need to do this tho as european epg should be readily grabbable from the satellite? in Australia the tv stations treat it as copyright info so wont allow you to grab any meaningful information over the air. i have also given up with webepg as the websites it grabs from over here are very hit and miss with regard to data available.. and i found more often than not the website failed anyway. im now using a free service called epgstream.

as has been suggested if you want to try and grab epg over the air then configure it in tv server and try that.

Thanks

Steve

clanmackenzi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Paris, France
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Thanks, I have configured the grab EPG in TV server and I do get some channels but only for a couple of hours ahead. I will go and configure the XLMTV plugin - this is what I have missed. Thought WebEPG was instead of XMLTV, it is not clear that they need to work together - but it makes sense when you think about it...

Cheers.

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    well really webepg DOES replace xmltv, but the plugin in the TV server just allows the import of the tvguide.xml that webepg / xmltv produces (and many other programs also) so even tho its called the xmltv plugin its really just a generic tvguide.xml importer plugin...

dont forget to enable the plugin in tv server by ticking the box too :)

Good luck!

Steve

clanmackenzi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Paris, France
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Been away for a couple of days and tried this again but no joy. I am falling at the first hurdle, I cannot get WebEPG to create a Guide XML file.

Here's what I'm doing...

Open WebEPG config -
    Import channel data from TV Server
    Auto map to UK (some channels missing so I just remove them for now) - I have a mix of "1-xmltv.radiotimes.com" and "2-www.mydigiguide.com"
    Save and close WebEPG config
    Run WebEPG.exe - at this point my network activity shows about 10mins of downloading at approx 400KB/s, so all appears to be working or at least something significant is working.

Problem - after the download I cannot find any sign of the XML file that should now be in my XMLTV directory, its not anywhere to be found on my entire system. I have tried manually mapping the channels, I have tried forcing all to mydigiguide, all to Radiotimes nothing seems to work. I think everything else is ready, XMLTV plugins in both TV server and MP, all looking at XMLTV directory, I just have to create that elusive XML file.

I am missing something basic but cannot find any ideas from all the various documents and manuals. Been at this for about a week now and close to packing up and going back to VMC and work on the new microsoft TV engine that is floating about at the moment.

Any help would be really appreciated, THIS IS MY LAST GASP ATTEMPT

Update:

Found some reference in other forum, found files in Program Data rather than Program files (complete duplicate of MP directories!) directed plugins to this alternative directory and I have some guide data - I'll play with this some more...

BirgerJV

January 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hello clanmackenzi

If you have xp
    select "show hidden files and folders" in start/controlpanel/folder options/ view tab
    than have a look in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\xmltv\TVguide.xml"

Hello again clanmackenzi

Didn't see your earlier post with your system

try this path to find XMLTV folder
    "C:\Program Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal folders"
    or
    "C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal"

wiki at
    TV-Server/Configuration/Plugins/XmlTv - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation
    and
    MediaPortalSetup_WebEPG - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hello clanmackenzi

If you have xp
    select "show hidden files and folders" in start/controlpanel/folder options/ view tab
    than have a look in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\xmltv\TVguide.xml"

Hello again clanmackenzi

Didn't see your earlier post with your system

try this path to find XMLTV folder
    "C:\Program Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal folders"
    or
    "C:\Users\All Users\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal"

wiki at
    TV-Server/Configuration/Plugins/XmlTv - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation
    and
    MediaPortalSetup_WebEPG - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation

what he said.. but i think he meant c:\documents and settings\all users etc etc :) (for xp)

Thanks

Steve

clanmackenzi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Paris, France
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Thanks guys, I found the files under programdata - a complete copy of the Mediaportal files.

I now have guide data (not all channels but I can work on that) however, I now have another problem... I live in France but am watching UK TV channels via Astra Sat, now my time is 1 hour ahead of UK but my guide is out by an hour - but its an hour ahead!!! in other words its 2 hours out w.r.t. UK time.

Any ideas - I've done this in Vista media center on my main system and it corrects the times automatically - this is obviously critical for recordings.

clanmackenzi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Paris, France
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    OK - so overnight the guide data has sorted itself out!!!!

Thanks for your help - now I'll go and try to get my movies up an running.

Cheers,
    Rory

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom