MP-TVSeries v4.3.6 Release [2020-01-24] (4 Viewers)

xppx

Portal Pro
September 2, 2007
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Quick question.

Will this great plugin receive an update so it becomes compatible again with the new MP-MediaInfo package which was introduced in MediaPortal v1.23 (PRE)?

mrbonsen

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • December 6, 2008
    Brensbach (HE) ehemals Görlitz
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think mp dies slowly and quietly :cry:
    the MP-TVSeries plugin synonymous (n), with me just test with 2 series to each episode = missing covers and descriptions.
    as test "Game of Thrones S01E01" and "Grey's Anatomy S15E23", so no exotics.
    discovered by chance on htpc because "grey's anatomy" latest season and episodes are flawed. :(

mp 1.23 I do not dare to install :barefoot: too many plugins and skin dependencies . . .

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @mrbonsen that tends to be more a disconnect between your filenames and the way TheTVdB has a constant battle with "user A" editing seasons the way they want them, and then "user B" editing them another way, eventually full blown war, and then admins lock series down (sometimes in an invalid state, which requires forum complaints). Then you also risk an import failing if your filenames are not a perfect match.

There are many tools designated to fix this and it is much better to rely on their logic then expect MP-TVSeries to do everything.

Ideally you fix the issue at the start by relying on Sonarr or SickGear or simply name the files correct yourself when you backup your media. Fixing it afterwards you can also do with Sonarr, or SickGear, but there are dozens of other tools available as well such as Filebot, ReNaMer, TVRenamer, etc.

Finally the issue might be due to show title not matching up correct, or having a need for a better noise filter, in which case MP-TVSeries offers many powerful options to fix filenames before or during the import process within the configuration. This requires Regular Expression knowledge to do it in a single statement, but I'd be happy to help if you give me enough examples of folder+file-names you are dealing with.

PS: Verify that MP-TVSeries matched Game of Thrones with TheTVdB ID = 121361, because there is nothing wrong with S01E01 @ Game of Thrones - Winter Is Coming @ TheTVDB (unless somebody messed up for the specific language you have configured that is not English)

mrbonsen

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    eventually full blown war, and then admins lock series down (sometimes in an invalid state, which requires forum complaints).
    ok, that would be a possibility.

- Ballers S04E09 - Spencers einsamer Kampf
    - Game of Thrones S08E06 - Der eiserne Thron
    - The Last Ship S05E10 - Commitment
    - Grey's Anatomy S15E23 - Aus lauter Liebe (1)

this is how my series structure looks for 10 years, always ok.
    every series still in a folder. ;)
    naming my media files I am very accurate, to rule out mistakes. (y) sometimes without description, then without a season cover or without episodes thumb

assure your db, try two or three episodes of named series and you'll realize I'm right.
    That's exactly what I tested yesterday on the main computer. :LOL:

2 h spent opening db and edited manually in "Grey's Anatomy" so that HTPC with series for wife is operable, otherwise I have problem

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @mrbonsen with German in filename I would assume MP-TVSeries is set to scrape TheTVdB for German language as well.

That has always been extra troublesome due to the community editing nature, and Game of Thrones is indeed locked by system admins to counter excessive editing wars.

I'm guessing you typo-ed it as "Gray's" as show is called "Grey's Anatomy" (your filename example is correct).

Anyway I know your pain, and I have many entries in MP-TVSeries import to overcome filename issues to ensure proper pattern matching, and I've also helped to improve the main MP-TVSeries regular expression to avoid as many issues as possible.

The amount of excessive HTTP/API requests during a fresh import (or refresh) can indirectly also lead to issues when IDS/IPS protection flags your activity as a false positive (or scrape server source is having load issues). With concurrent threads this can be extremely difficult to narrow down sometimes as it can appear completely random.

Sounds like you got it sorted, and good luck keeping the wife happy :D

PS: I'm in USA, so if I would do a fresh import everything will work flawless which poses an issue for developers if there technically is not a bug. An automated way to slow down the import for foreign users might be needed to avoid triggering timeouts, but you would need to assist in narrowing down what is causing it and this can be extensive. Fiddler2 or Wireshark MITM setup might be required, and a ton of repeats. Only when an issue can be consistently reproduced with the steps outlined on how to make it fail can a developer seriously device a solution to implement. On your end as a workaround, try starting with a fresh database and compare importing all of Game of Thrones, or one episode at a time. If the full import fails, but one episode at a time (with natural delays) works then MP-TVSeries needs to add an option to delay mass-import for foreign users. Maybe a configurable delay setting in config.

Last edited:

mrbonsen

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thanks for your detailed explanation ;)
    a lot of causes that can affect the reading of a series. the next few days on the PC will do some test. , , without "Game of Thrones". I will repeat this test on different days to exclude accidents.
    I'm going to use "grey's anatomy" because everything worked fine until S14E12. only when adding the remaining S14 and E including S15 did the errors occur.
    I also test with this mask "Grey's Anatomy S01E01" to perform a scan additionally in English.
    will take two E from S01 to S015 and have them scanned ;)

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @mrbonsen much appreciated. Finding the steps that will consistently fail something so that they can be reproduced by others can be a real pain, but once they are defined it makes it much easier for @ltfearme or others to then hopefully fix it.

PS: If you have time to waste (it adds up quick), try doing the same imports in English language or if possible a USA based VPN. Being able to exclude if it is your location/GeoIP would also help. IMDb.com for example makes my life a living hell supporting other languages in IMDb+ because it will act totally different for international users.

Last edited:

mrbonsen

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    today first test scan (german and english), no series posters, no season poster and no episodes thumbs.
    in screen 01 and 02 are strange numbers as poster no. Normally there is the ID 73762-x-x.jpg
    in the root folder of mp thumb is no jpg with this no. :whistle:

means screen 03, scan can not work?
    "Series Locked"

EDIT: sorry, had to edit several times. , , Google Translator :cry:

Attachments

• 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      384.7 KB
    • 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      324.6 KB
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      255.2 KB
    Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    No scan should still work.

On old XML API v1 MP-TVSeries would make an API call like this one to find the show -- http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Grey's+Anatomy

Then it would use that result to get a ZIP file containing all the data. TheTVdB updates those ZIP files at a certain interval if users make contributions, and on a locked series they will simply not be able to make those contributions, but the ZIP file will still be available.

However, TheTVdB has been pushing API v2 for a while, and I don't know if MP-TVSeries got updated. If it did it would need to make a massive amount of JSON based REST API calls and maybe your system or internet connection is struggling to keep up? Highly doubt it is your side, so it could be the serving side limiting things, but that is difficult to diagnose unless you install Fiddler2 or WireShark to analyze the HTTP traffic. Things get complicated very quickly when you have to do this, but not sure MP-TVSeries has enough logging to figure out why it fails (unless it does and you overlooked entries in log file that explain why things are failing). Networking can be a pain to resolve, due to time-out values and retries. Throw into the mix that everything is multi-threaded and you got a nightmare to untangle. Moving-Pictures has an advanced option to limit threads down to 1, and off the top of my head I cannot remember if MP-TVSeries has the same option.

mrbonsen

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think I'm currently edit db manually and hope that it will work again sometime :notworthy:
    thanks for your help or info (y)

until about 02.07.2018 (S14E14) has worked from about 19.11. 2018 not anymore. on the second date I have added new episodes from S14E15 - current S15

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom