[solved] MP will not delete recordings that are on NAS (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I tried just quickly changing the user for tvservice through services.msc to be the normal Windows user and that completely broke it (tvserver not able to run at all by the look of it)
    Yeah, the user running the TV service will need some level of admin privileges because the TV service accesses hardware etc. I'm sorry, I'm not able to tell you exactly what those privileges are. Might be easier to allow the default Windows user that runs the TV service to access the NAS.

As always, many thanks for the help
    No problem. See you around. :)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks again folks.

I thought just changing the user on the service wasn't likely to work without fiddling with privileges, but didn't take long to try it so I thought I may as well just in case it worked :)

Giving NAS access to the user tvservice is running under would seem the most sensible solution, but that's where my Windows networking/user policy knowledge runs out... the only way I know of giving a user access to the NAS is to log on as that user and go to the NAS in file explorer so it prompts for the NAS user details - and I don't think you can log into Windows as the "default system account" or whatever it's called. I need to do some research I think and learn more about this stuff, but I'm now sure it's a Windows setup thing and not anything to do with MP or TVServer itself, so you have pointed me in the right direction :)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, I've found out what it was :)

People's advice to run the tvservice as the normal user was correct, but it turns out that Windows won't run a service as a user with no password. It doesn't complain when you set the user in the service properties, but fails with a login error when it tries to start the service.
    Adding a password to the user account fixes this, and everything to do with the TV Server still works - AND I can now delete those recordings from the NAS through the normal interface. Woohoo.

I purposely has no password on the user so the machine would boot straight back up in the event of a power failure without sitting on the login screen, but setting Windows to auto-login using netplwiz (another thing I didn't know about before) has got round this.

So, thanks again for all the help - and the moral of the story is if you're changing the user on a service, make sure it has a password!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom