MP1 and weak DVB-T signals (1 Viewer)

fromaron

Portal Pro
October 18, 2007
Home Country
I am having strange issue with weak DVB-T signals and MP1 + TVServer1 singleseat installation running XP SP3. When I say weak signals I mean at around 30 - 40 % quality as I can see from the TVServer configuration.
These weak signals are for Australian channel 7 and 9. When as I understand the signal drops bellow certain level the picture and sound stops and breaking up and do not recover. As soon as I go back to the main menu without stopping timeshifting everything restores and run smoothly. The problem is affecting only two channels, channel 10, ABC and SBS always fine (100% quality signal).
I understand that the signal has to be improved, but my question is about the changes done in MP1. I never had the problem running MP0.2.3 or MP1RC2. Why is it timeshifting can recover when I have live TV played in a small window of the Main Menu, but not in full screen mode?

woddog

Portal Pro
November 28, 2007
Townsville, QLD
Home Country
There was a "solution" a while ago.

create a .txt file named "RelaxTsReaderForBadReception" and place it in the root? directory (C:\)

If I can remember correctly, MP final's Ts reader was changed from the RC.

This file has helped some, but for me it just created a pixelated mess on a couple of channels. Can't hurt to try.

fromaron

Portal Pro
October 18, 2007
Home Country
Thank you, woddog. I will try the solution and see what happens there. I take it the file to be created is just an empty one?

fromaron

Portal Pro
October 18, 2007
Home Country
Just an update. Antenna amplifier has fixed the problem.
It's obvious that weak signals can cause timeshifting to stall when TV is in full screen mode.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just an update. Antenna amplifier has fixed the problem.

There really is no fix for a weak signal, other than doing what evers necessary to improve it, ie Aerial\cable\connectors or as you found amplifier.

Glad you got it sorted :)

fromaron

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2007
    Home Country
    There really is no fix for a weak signal, other than doing what evers necessary to improve it, ie Aerial\cable\connectors or as you found amplifier.

Sure, the weak signal is a weak signal and has to be handled accordingly. My point was that timeshifting doesn't recover in a full screen mode and just stalls unlike DVB-T STBs which will break video and sound and once the signal improves, resume ther normal operation. I don't remember seeing this problem with previous MP releases and was flagging the point that something has been changed in MP1.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Would be nice to have a clean TsWriter and TsReader logs from the situation where bad signal causes the freeze. At least TVE3 survives from the case where you unplug the antenna cable and then wait 1 minute and then insert the cable back.

akiaki

Portal Pro
    September 15, 2008
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I'm having exact same problems. I have a strong signal and something else corrupts the stream (one seat installation) like copying from one hard drive to another or sometimes it just starts on itself. The point is, tv server takes long long time or never to recover from this errors in the stream. Although the tv server is great great, this part of it is just too sensitive and done right in my opinion.Not everyone can have the perfect signal setup and tvserver is a lot worse in these situations than standalone dvbt set top boxes IMO..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom