[MP2-768] Installation Setup Failed - Error 0x80070666 - VC++ 2015/2017 Redist bug (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

morpheus_xx

Lead Dev MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    The dependencies are server side in most cases, in principle we could skip some for client-only installs. The problem is that the installer logic is not aware of supporting different dependencies per install type yet.

Squelch

Portal Member
    October 20, 2018
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Country flag
    Thank you for looking into this so quickly and for moving the thread to the proper location.
    I look forward to trying out the next release candidate, but would like to point out that anyone downloading what would appear to be the stable release ( 2.1) may still run into this problem. I note that the installation requirements page for 2.2 has just been updated to VC 2017, so perhaps a recommendation to use 2.2 instead of 2.1 if installation fails might be prudent?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Recommendations to use MP2 instead MP1 are a delicate subject. Please keep in mind that both products are independent developments. I can’t comment on MP 1.20’s needs.

In any case the new 2.2 Final will install VC++ 2017 regardless of VC++ 2015 being present or not.

Squelch

Portal Member
    October 20, 2018
    Home Country
    Country flag
    Recommendations to use MP2 instead MP1 are a delicate subject. Please keep in mind that both products are independent developments. I can’t comment on MP 1.20’s needs.
    Completely understood and appreciated.
    In any case the new 2.2 Final will install VC++ 2017 regardless of VC++ 2015 being present or not.
    That still leaves 1.2 with the legacy issue. I had originally attempted to install 2.1 and the blockage led to my original report for that version. It is unfortunate that the actual cause is opaque, has been caused by external libraries, and that there appears to be no easy workaround short of a patched release for 2.1. I guess it all comes down to the project release schedule and how much longer 2.1 will be supported?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Sorry, but I don’t understand the relationship with MP 1.20.

Squelch

Portal Member
    October 20, 2018
    Home Country
    Country flag
    My apologies. I made a typo of 2.1 as 1.2 and subconsciously perpetuated it. I have edited my responses above accordingly.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    MP 2.1(.3) needs VC 2015. I consider this obsolete though as with 2.2 we switch to 2017, that will in all cases be correctly installed - parallel to an existing 2015.

Uninstalling 2015 is not affecting the remaining 2017.

Squelch

Portal Member
    October 20, 2018
    Home Country
    Country flag
    Indeed. My concern was that neither 2.1.3 Pre-Release, nor 2.2 development currently result in a successful installation in this situation, and that people may preferentially view 2.1.3 as the current stable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread