MP2 Metro (1 Viewer)

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
April 1, 2008
OHIO
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Sneak Peek Coming Soon....

I started working on a new skin based on windows 8 Metro styling. I have spent a lot of time the last few days working on this, and am hoping to have some sneak peek screenshots maybe by the end of the weekend if all goes well.

To date I have a working skin that displays a custom icon for the weather app and when clicked displays the weather information I still have a lot of tweaking and dynamically loading of multiple tiles, but it looks promising.

What I would like is any input on how everyone thinks this should look and feel (ie navigation). I will continue going down my current path and will post some screen shots soon to spark some ideas.

Keep looking back and I'll continue to update this thread with progress.

MP2 all the way or die trying...

Updated Screenshots 8-6-11 Updated Codeplex to V1.2
See notes for changes on latest post and codeplex

hardcorehire-albums-updated-metro-screens-picture706-metrohome.jpg

hardcorehire-albums-updated-metro-screens-picture710-metroweatherwithsidenavigationmenu.jpg

hardcorehire-albums-updated-metro-screens-picture708-metrohomebackgroundselectionbasic.jpg

hardcorehire-albums-updated-metro-screens-picture707-metrohomebackgroundselectionadvanced.jpg

hardcorehire-albums-updated-metro-screens-picture709-metrohomecustombackground.jpg

hardcorehire-albums-updated-metro-screens-picture705-metrobrowsemedia.jpg

jaminben

Portal Member
August 9, 2007
Norwich
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sounds cool.... looking forward to some screenshots.

Can I ask what your using to create your new skin? I'm tempted to try and have a go myself (currently reading as much as I can about XAML and WPF etc).... did you use Microsoft Expression Suite, Visual Studio 2010 or something else?

Cheers

Ben

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
April 1, 2008
OHIO
Home Country
jaminben

I use Visual Studio 2010 express. I have spent the past year learning WPF and XAML I was actually going to write my own media center application, but I just love MP especially the community. I love to give back by writing useful plugins it is just a hobby of mine my real job is an project engineer for capital installations for a large fortune 500 company.

I wrote a rolodex plugin for the original MP and have plans to write another even better one for MP2 as soon as I complete this skin (well I guess you never really complete anything). This will be my first skin for MP so I hope it goes well I know it is a love hate relationship at the moment, but made some good strides the last two days.

I spent about the past few months trying to write plugins for MP2 and mostly swearing up and down why I couldn't get anything to work. My suggestion research research research. I have actually started a MP2 cheat sheet that I will attach to help everyone out.

Look forward to hearing from the community on the new skin with suggestions and thoughts.

Attachments

• MP2 Notes.docx
    15.5 KB

jaminben

Portal Member
August 9, 2007
Norwich
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks hardcorehire, very helpfull :)

Like you this will just be a hobby and by the looks of things a very frustrating long term hobby...... should be fun though.
Another couple of dumb questions for you.....

1. Which version of Visual Studio 2010 express did you use? I see multiple types Visual Basic 2010 Express, Visual C# 2010 Express, Visual C++ 2010 Express etc.
2. Where is the sample plugin SLAMP2Test?

Thanks

Ben

hardcorehire

Portal Pro
April 1, 2008
OHIO
Home Country
jaminben

MP2 is based on C# you can download free from
Visual C# 2010 Express | Microsoft Visual Studio

It is a long and frustrating road in fact I am a little stuck now tyring to dynamically load the tile images. I can't get the button Initialized event to bind to a command in my model. I have the commands working, but can only get one image to work because it gets set once in the constructor but I need to change the images as the buttons are loaded in the xaml file (ANY HELP FROM THE COMMUNITY TO KEEP MOVING FORWARD....).

As for the SLAMP2Test I changed names on that plugin and have a very simple plugin to demonstrate binding if I get a chance I can try and load sometime (all free time is spent on Metro skin right now)

I tried to copy and paste direct lines of code to help remind myself of some small caveats. I'll also try and keep updating the cheat and can update this thread as I figure things out.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MP2 Metro

I'm curious to see some screenshots :p

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    It is a long and frustrating road in fact I am a little stuck now tyring to dynamically load the tile images. I can't get the button Initialized event to bind to a command in my model. I have the commands working, but can only get one image to work because it gets set once in the constructor but I need to change the images as the buttons are loaded in the xaml file (ANY HELP FROM THE COMMUNITY TO KEEP MOVING FORWARD....).

Hi hardcorehire,

First, thanks for your efforts, it's really appreciated. I'm just very impatient to have some screenshots :p

You're stuck in dynamically load tiled images. I'm not sure I really understand what you want to achieve, and unfortunately I won't be very helpfull with your problem.

Anyway, maybe you can post some part of your code and pictures of what you have exactly in mind in order to get some support from Albert or Morpheus_xx ?

I like that too :D

Cheers.

Smeulf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom