MP4 and WMV codec issue (1 Viewer)

mbrown36

Portal Member
November 18, 2008
I have set up the 1.0.2 client on two identical laptop computers. Before installing it, I installed Haali Media Splitter, Power DVD, and saf400beta22.exe. On one laptop I can play wmv and mp4 videos, but I can't on the other one. I get an "Unable to play ... Video codec mped-v4 Audio codec AAC" error.

I tried switching the settings under Videos | Video Player, but it didn't work. I also tried using the External Player feature and browsing to Real Player and Windows Media Player. Neither worked.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What does play the file, try MPC-HC, if that does not work, the it may be one of the odd formats that work with FFDShow set as decoder, either video or audio, so 2 choices, use FFDShow for that filetype, or re-encode the video using xvid4psp (supplies dxva), chances are there will be more suggestion's ;)

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    I have set up the 1.0.2 client on two identical laptop computers. Before installing it, I installed Haali Media Splitter, Power DVD, and saf400beta22.exe. On one laptop I can play wmv and mp4 videos, but I can't on the other one. I get an "Unable to play ... Video codec mped-v4 Audio codec AAC" error.

I tried switching the settings under Videos | Video Player, but it didn't work. I also tried using the External Player feature and browsing to Real Player and Windows Media Player. Neither worked.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

All you need is unlocked SAF, Haali is already part of SAF, PDVD only is as external player to play BlueRay and HD DVD.

mbrown36

Portal Member
    November 18, 2008
    Under Videos | Video Player, I have the following settings:

MPEG-2 video decoder: CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)
    H.264 video decoder: MPC - Video decoder
    MPEG/AC3 audio decoder: ffdshow Audio Decoder
    AAC audio decoder: ffdshow Audio Decoder
    Audio renderer: Default DirectSound Device

These settings work on laptop 1, but not laptop 2.

I have tried changing MPEG-2 video decoder to CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9 UPnP), ffdshow Video Decoder and MPC - MPED-2 Video Decoder (Gabest). But those didn't work either.

It is really strange that it works on one computer, but not the other.

mbrown36

Portal Member
    November 18, 2008
    Thanks for helping me with this Ray.

Both machines are generic laptops, but are the same make, model and configuration.

Windows XP Professional SP3
    Intel Core 2 CPU
    T5600 @ 1.83 GHz
    1.00 GB Ram
    Disk Drive Hitachi HTS541640J9AT00
    Display adapters
    GIGABYTE Radeon X1600 Serices

Here are the erros that I get when I try to play them on the laptop that doesn't work.

2010-02-12 09:26:16.843750 [ERROR][MPMain]: VideoPlayer9:exception while creating DShow graph Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {51B4ABF3-748F-4E3B-A276-C828330E926A} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80040273. at MediaPortal.Player.VMR9Util.AddVMR9(IGraphBuilder graphBuilder)
    at MediaPortal.Player.VideoPlayerVMR9.GetInterfaces()
    2010-02-12 09:26:16.843750 [ERROR][MPMain]: VideoPlayerVMR9: Exception while cleanuping DShow graph - Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at MediaPortal.Player.VideoPlayerVMR9.Cleanup()
    2010-02-12 09:26:17.843750 [ERROR][MPMain]: PlaylistPlayer: *** unable to play - W:\Movies\Action\DareDevil\DareDevil.mp4 - skipping track!

I did get external player working this morning with Windows Media Player. I don't know if that is a clue or not.

Thanks
    Mike

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Firstly I would run filmerit (link in signature or its installed by hoborg's SAF if you have that) see if there are any errors, you need to unlock the padlock and accept Pauls agreement to fix any errors.

Just a word of advice .mp4 files can cause the OS to hiccup, worthwhile using mkvmerge (google to find and takes seconds) to convert them to mkv (needs haali media splitter on system, supplied with SAF or VCP).

If none of the above fixes things, try the Vista codec pack by shark 007 (works on xp), this can repair\fix damaged registry settings that will stop video\audio from playing, if going down that road, uninstall any codecs you may already have.

Good Luck with this, nothing more frustrating than having one work and the other won't and they are identical in all respects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom