MPC working a treat - next step, adding Sky... (1 Viewer)

Prolecto

September 16, 2007
East Sussex
Home Country
England England
Hello all. This is my first post, but I've been reading a lot of posts as I've progressed through building my media centre. I've built the machine up mostly from components I have spare so I have actually only directly spent about £80 on it. Here is my current specs:

(OS) Windows XP Home
(CPU) Intel P4 3.0ghz HT
(Motherboard) ASRock P4i65G
(Memory) 1gb DDR PC2700
(Graphics) nVidia 6200 256mb AGP
(Audio) SB Live!
(HD) 200gb IDE
(DVD) DVDR/W DL
(LAN) Netgear WG311v2 54g WLAN

I also have a standard MCE remote.

It all works great for showing off the photos and music I already have stored on my NAS, and I have all my videos stored locally on the HD. The next step is getting the TV running, but I'm not really sure what I am going to need.

My current setup is Sky Freesat running through a Grundig digibox. I want to do this as cheaply as possible, since this isn't a Holy Grail for me, it's just a little project for the sake of it.

As I understand it, I need to get the correct TV tuner card and something called an IR Blaster to allow control of the Grundig Sky box with the MCE remote. Which TV tuner and other hardware is suitable for my situation? I understand I would need two cards to allow me to watch 1 channel while recording another, so I would probably skip that facility for now - I will stick with recording the current channel until I save up some cash. Unless there is a competitively priced solution for this.

Thanks in advance!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If I understand you correct, tou want to use:_
    grundig -> s-video -> HTPC, where you control the STN with IR-blasters?
    This is not very hard, but before we go there - are you sure you can't skip the STB?
    1: What kind of DVB are you using (DVB-T, SVB-S, DVB-C)
    2: Does the STB use a smartcard?
    3: Where are you from (country)

(oh, and welcome to media heaven)

Prolecto

September 16, 2007
    East Sussex
    Home Country
    England England
    Hello, thanks for the reply.

Well, I'm not sure of the best method for this all, hence my original post. I am in the UK, and using Sky Freesat which involves a smartcard in the STB - so I presume I need the box - but really, whatever is the simplest solution. I had assumed I would do as you said: Grundig stb => svideo => HTPC.

As for the type of DVB, this is satellite so I presume that is DVB-S? I understand that things aren't quite straightforward with Sky.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    OK (I see you added the flag now)

1: Make sure your STB can send s-video signals (not just RGB/"SCART"), or composite (lower quality).
    2: You need a analogue TV-card, like Hauppauge PVR 150 (recommended). You can get these bundled with MCE remote w/IR-blasters. I'd recommend the standalone version, though...

3: Use IR Server Suite (new version coming soon) to control STB via IR-blasters. Subforum: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mce_replacement_plugin-f165.html

understand I would need two cards to allow me to watch 1 channel while recording another
    Hauppauge 500 has to tuners, but bear in mind that you need two STBs as well....

Prolecto

September 16, 2007
    East Sussex
    Home Country
    England England
    1) Well, the box only has scart and antenna out - I presume I can still use the antenna out, and maybe the scart with an adapter - I will live with the poorer quality for now.
    2) I had thought the PVR 150 would be the piece of kit I needed. Since I have an MCE remote already - can I purchase the IR Blaster seperately? I have had difficulty finding these.
    3) Fantastic, thanks for the advice.

kk, well the two STBs is out of the question for now then.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    1: SCART can carry S-video. Check your STBs settings and manual
    2: Sorry - don't think so. Get the bundle (cheaper)
    3: NP. Great app. Looking forward to next release myself.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    2) I had thought the PVR 150 would be the piece of kit I needed. Since I have an MCE remote already - can I purchase the IR Blaster seperately? I have had difficulty finding these.

I think i still have them in my box of goodies, if you want one PM me and i will post one, just check on the back of the mce receiver there should be 2 sockets to plug the blaster into first (cannot remember which one you use), as i do not mind them going to a good home, as wasted here.

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can you let me know how you get on, as I have EXACTLY the same equipment as you (even the Grundig box!)

I would rather like to know if it would be possible to run it through the TV server somehow, i.e. put the stb, and a server in the garage, wired into a PVR card, running TV Server, and distributing the TV out to a small quiet pc next to the plasma in the living room.

Would the IR blaster and the IR server suite allow me to change channels from my living room?
    You could presumably record whatever you're watching too, right?

If I had two quiet PCs (one in the living room, and one in the bedroom), presumably you could both watch the same Sky channel, if this works, but what would happen if you both try to change channels? :)

Thanks for any advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom