MPDisplay2 - some questions (1 Viewer)

fitzy75

Portal Member
January 20, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello all

If this is the wrong forum category to post this in please feel free to move it where it should be :)

I thought it would be best to post this in a separate thead rather than the main thread for this plugin to keep it organised and easy to read for people rather than flicking between topics on the same thread.

I am considering using this plugin and would like to confirm it's capabilities and describe what I would like to do with it, and hope that it's possible :)

I've got a projector which I use as my main (and only) display currently. Today I have been given a broken HP TouchSmart all in one PC and I plan to use the touchscreen as an additional monitor connected to my MP machine as a controller, it would be great if I could possibly use this plugin to view the main interface for MP and browse movies/series using MovingPictures and MPTVSeries plugins with the touchscreen and when I click play on the media, it would show on the projector. However, the screen also has built in speakers so I wonder if it would also be possible to have a music interface which would only show on the touchscreen and have an equalizer/playlist or whatever play through the speakers on the screen (using a different sound card).

So to sum it all up:
  • Projector will play all video content and sound through main sound card for videos/TV
  • Touchscreen will display the standard MP interface (using StreamedMP skin if possible)
  • Music will be navigable using touchscreen only, and sound will play through a different sound card using built-in speakers on the screen, or possibly an option to choose what card the sound will play through?

Could someone please advise if this is possible using the MPDisplay2 plugin, or if some but not all of it is possible, or weather there is another plugin more suitable for my needs?

I know it's all a bit crazy but if I can, why not? :p

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello all

If this is the wrong forum category to post this in please feel free to move it where it should be :)

I thought it would be best to post this in a separate thead rather than the main thread for this plugin to keep it organised and easy to read for people rather than flicking between topics on the same thread.

I am considering using this plugin and would like to confirm it's capabilities and describe what I would like to do with it, and hope that it's possible :)

I've got a projector which I use as my main (and only) display currently. Today I have been given a broken HP TouchSmart all in one PC and I plan to use the touchscreen as an additional monitor connected to my MP machine as a controller, it would be great if I could possibly use this plugin to view the main interface for MP and browse movies/series using MovingPictures and MPTVSeries plugins with the touchscreen and when I click play on the media, it would show on the projector. However, the screen also has built in speakers so I wonder if it would also be possible to have a music interface which would only show on the touchscreen and have an equalizer/playlist or whatever play through the speakers on the screen (using a different sound card).

So to sum it all up:
    • Projector will play all video content and sound through main sound card for videos/TV
    • Touchscreen will display the standard MP interface (using StreamedMP skin if possible)
    • Music will be navigable using touchscreen only, and sound will play through a different sound card using built-in speakers on the screen, or possibly an option to choose what card the sound will play through?

Could someone please advise if this is possible using the MPDisplay2 plugin, or if some but not all of it is possible, or weather there is another plugin more suitable for my needs?

I know it's all a bit crazy but if I can, why not? :p
    I'm trying to do something similar. I've played with MPDisplay++ 0.7.0.0 a bit, and while still in the early stages, it has a lot of promise. In short, MPDisplay++ can be a status display, or a rich remote control that provides enough context such that your main display does not have to be on in order to use it effectively. Content chosen with MPDisplay++ plays on the MediaPortal instance housing its server component (which can be the local machine, or in your case, a remote device connected over the network). The MPDisplay++ client is not just a remote display window though like a VNC or RDP session; it won' t contain a pixel-for pixel copy of your main display's contents. It is purportedly skinnable, but I have not not experimented with this.

As far as I can tell, MPDisplay++ was never intended to stream any kind of media, including music, to the client device. This is the domain of MPExtended/WifiRemote and its clients (e.g., aMPdroid). In fact, when pulling up the context menu for a piece of media on aMPdroid, there are "Stream" (to device) and "Play on PC" options.

Sasha

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom