[no Bug] MPE Maker / Installer has wrong version for MP and TV Service (1 Viewer)

michael_t

Portal Pro
November 30, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
The MediaPortal Extension Maker and the MPE Installer use wrong version information for current MediaPortal and TV server ("1.1.0.6" instead of "1.1.7.0"). This is due to a wrong version information in registry, where build and revision are mixed up and build obviously was not updated to "7" for 1.2.0 beta. This is only a cosmetic issue in MPE Maker, but the wrong version information is also used in MPE Installer to check for version dependencies. As an extension developer I have two choices: I can provide my extension with a wrong dependency information or I can tell people to ignore the warning by MP Extension Installer. Both options are not very desirable.

Reproduce bug:

Open MPE Maker and go to "Dependencies"
Mark existing "MediaPortal" or "TV Server" dependency or create a new one
Version info shows "1.1.0.6"

or

Have a look in registry "LocalMachine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MediaPortal":
VersionBuild is "0" and VersionRevision is "6"

After inspecting the installation scripts I saw that the error results from there: In all installation and NSIS scripts VER_BUILD and VER_REVISION are mixed up. This is of no importance as long as these values are only used inside the installation/setup scripts. But these values are written to the registry at installation time, so there are wrong version infos in registry which are used by the MPE tools.

I changed the scripts and added a patch to fix the issue.

Michael

Attachments

• Bugfix for Build and Revision mixed up in Setup.patch
    12 KB

Migue

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2006
    Florida
    The MPE tools will be updated for 1.2 and will no longer rely on the registry for versioning information. Instead they will make use of the version compatibility system. Version Compatibility - MediaPortal Wiki

EDIT: And about the version in the installer, it was already fixed in SVN.

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: MPE Maker / Installer has wrong version for MP and TV Service

The MPE tools will be updated for 1.2 and will no longer rely on the registry for versioning information. Instead they will make use of the version compatibility system. Version Compatibility - MediaPortal Wiki

EDIT: And about the version in the installer, it was already fixed in SVN.
    Independent of the planned changes in MPE tools the mix-up of Build and Revision in the installation scripts is still there and may lead to further side effects. So IMHO this in not "no bug", but should be fixed.

Michael

Migue

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2006
    Florida
    Right. And I said this is fixed already in SVN. It was fixed in SVN just after we released 1.2 beta, on revision 27826 on April 22.

EDIT: You may be right about VER_BUILD and VER_REVISION being mixed up. Investigating.

Migue

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2006
    Florida
    After discussion it was determined that it is not a bug. Our NSIS definitions of build and revision are just different. We use Major.Minor.Revision.Build in installer to dfine version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom