MPEG-2 Hardware card, so why this ASF file (1 Viewer)

johnson636

Portal Member
February 3, 2006
MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal_0.2_RC2
Windows Version: XP HOME
CPU Type: Intel P4
HDD: WD SataII
Memory: Corsair 1GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Motherboard Chipset: LGA 775
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: 7800GT
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: Soundblaster
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: PVR-500
1. TV Card Type: Hardware MPEG-2
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Mpeg2Dec Filter
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow Audio Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Time Warner
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply: ANTEC TRUECONTROL II 550W
Remote: ATI Remote Wonder II
TV: SD
TV - HTPC Connection: S-video

I have a Hauppauge pvr-500 which is a hardware mpeg-2 card, I captured a couple of shows and noticed that the files are saved as ASF which is a MS own format. What did I do wrong?

johnson636

Portal Member
February 3, 2006
Wow, I guess I'm the only one with this problem. Anyway, I found out at another forum what the problem was and it seems MP use the MS recording patent; it would be nice to know if and how to disable this feature

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
MP doesn't save to ASF, it saves to MPEG-2, wrapped in DVR-MS. As Flip mentioned above, do a search on the forums on this topic.

johnson636

Portal Member
February 3, 2006
MP doesn't save to ASF, it saves to MPEG-2, wrapped in DVR-MS. As Flip mentioned above, do a search on the forums on this topic.

First, thanx for you guy's reply. I said ASF because thats what Gspot said it was. I know you guys say the file can be reencoded, but doesn't that defeat the purpose. And finally, I did search the forums before I posted this thread; I just can't see how the thread Flip quoted didn't come up in my search. My keywords were " record to MPEG-2 and ASF." I did a search with those keywords today and got the same results for ASF, which were none, but came across the thread flip posted. I just don't know how I missed given the fact that the other guy's thread was posted 2 days before mine.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
I know you guys say the file can be reencoded, but doesn't that defeat the purpose.
No need to reencode, you just have to convert it. You can even use MP for that or let MP do it automatically in the background. Doing so you just strip off the DVR-MS container and have the pure MPEG file after. So no reencode is needed, no loss of quality or whatever.

The next version of MP allows recording directly to MPEG and won't use DVR-MS anymore. See the homepage for news about the new TV engine.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

about the search stuff:

I think the problem was the ASF, since it is dvr-ms. And I did only search for "record mpeg". This would have given sufficent results. Just leave fillwords like "to" out. :)

HTH, Flip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom