MPEG4 HDTV stream using wrong codec in MyTV? (1 Viewer)

tomoqv

Portal Pro
June 28, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
TV-Server Version: Rev15769
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo Wide
Windows Version: XP Home SP2
CPU Type: AMD ATHLON X2 BE-2350 SOCKET AM2 45W BOXED
HDD: Seagate 320GB SATA II Barracuda 7200.10
Memory: Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5
Motherboard: ABIT AN-M2HD
Motherboard Chipset: nForce 630a
Video Card: nVidia 7050PV onboard
Video Card Driver: 163.71
Sound Card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio
Sound Card AC3: SPDIF coax
1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 (dual tuners)
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: Hauppauge 4.2.24318.0 (2006-11-14)
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow / CoreAVC Pro
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
Cooling: 2 side mounted 120 mm TriCool™ 3-speed fans
Power Supply: 430 W ATX12V v2.0 power supply
Remote: Microsoft MCE Remote
TV: Samsung LE-40M86 (1920x1080)
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Since yesterday I have purchased and installed the CoreAVC Pro codec and set it up as the h.264 codec in MP. I have downloaded a lot of HD content from Apple's site (both 720p and 1080p) and renamed with the extension .mkv, and it plays very smoothly in My Movies in MP. Therefore you would expect that using the same h.264 codec in MyTV would yield a similar result when trying to watch SVT HD (MPEG4 @ 720p), but it doesn't. I get choppy sound and no video until I stop TV and restart it again, then I get stuttering video still with choppy sound. I can record the channel, rename the recorded file to x.mkv and then watch it without any problems in My Movies, but it doesn't play as it should in recorded TV within MyTV.

I have searched these forums for similar problems, but not been able to find any help. It seems to me as if CoreAVC is not used for decoding SVT HD in MyTV, but rather some other codec. I have disabled x.264 as well as MPEG4 decoding in my ffdshow settings, but still no luck. Removing post processing won't help either.

I am at a loss here. Has anybody gotten this to work with CoreAVC? Have I missed out on any settings?

Tomas

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I could just say that I have had problems getting CoreAVC working as well - the same issue. But Cyberlink h.264 works well so I haven't been bothered by it that much..

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Please post your logs after playing the video in MyVideos and MyTv. MP handles the playback of videos and TV differently (as you can see by the different decoder options on both).

noxx2

Portal Pro
    September 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ive have the same problem with germany hd-station like premiere-hd and discovery-hd. hd-movies in mkv or avi works well, but hd in my-tv are terrible:

-video and audio stuttering
    -picture error (many green surfaces)
    -total system or mp-crash

i use
    -as codec CoreAVC and PowerDVD with latest 3319-Patch
    -WinXP DVB Patch

i try
    -Catalyste 7.7...7.10 with and without Registry-Patch
    -Different Quarz.Dll
    -Reinstall of DirectX

but nothing of them solved this problem

tomoqv

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Here are my log files after:
    1) watching SVT HD
    2) watching standard TV
    3) watching SVT HD recording (renamed to *.mkv)
    4) watched .hdmov file (renamed to *.mkv)

Tomas

tomoqv

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I could just say that I have had problems getting CoreAVC working as well - the same issue. But Cyberlink h.264 works well so I haven't been bothered by it that much..

Are you referring to the Cyberlink HD264 Pack? I was hoping I would manage without shelling out the extra USD39.95 for that codec. CoreAVC Pro was a mere USD14.95 and is supposed to be the fastest H.264 software video decoder in the market. When I play HD material in MP My Movies using this codec, CPU load is as low as 20-30%.

Tomas

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Are you referring to the Cyberlink HD264 Pack? I was hoping I would manage without shelling out the extra USD39.95 for that codec. CoreAVC Pro was a mere USD14.95 and is supposed to be the fastest H.264 software video decoder in the market. When I play HD material in MP My Movies using this codec, CPU load is as low as 20-30%.

Tomas

Yes, the Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 (which includes all codecs for decoding HD-DVD and Blu-ray etc).
    Well yes the price is higher than CoreAVC but it also includes HW decoding support for ATI and NVidia cards. (ATI HD-cards, NVidia 8400-8600).

So for me it was worth the money. But nevertheless I would like COreAVC to work as well...

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Your ffsdshow is still being called when you use TV. That can explain the choppines. You can confirm by running MP in windowed mode and looking for ffdshow icon in the windows notification area. It should be there when watching TV and not when using my movies.

You could double check your ffdshow settings, maybe something else is trigering it. If you want, post your mediaportal.xml so we can check if theres anything worng with the graph building.

graphedit can also help you detect what's going on.

tomoqv

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    OK, now I have managed to get CoreAVC as the codec used when watching SVT HD, by changing the DirectShow Control merit in ffdshow from default to preferred. However, the HD stream still doesn't play well. I get only about half of the picture. It looks as if it id enlarged and runs outside of the right and lower borders of the screen. I also still get some choppyness in the sound. I am now running AC3 as the audio codec instead of MPA, but in Graphedit it shows up as two boxes, MPA -> AC3!?

Playing HD content (downloaded material saved as *.mkv) in the Movies section is still fine, but utilises between 30% and 70% CPU. I am pretty sure I had CPU utilisation quite a bit lower before, but that's a minor issue as long as it runs properly.

Attached are the new log files and MediaPortal.xml.

Thanks,

Tomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom