MPTagThat 'hangs' during startup for about 30 seconds .... (1 Viewer)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi hwahrmann,

I am running the latest version of MPTagThat on Widows XP SP3 fully patched and updated and it works fine. Except that when I first launch MPTagThat, it becomes unresponsive (hangs?) for about 30 seconds while I can hear the CD/DVD drive being accessed about 5 or 6 times, as if MPTagThat is trying to find music files in the empty CD/DCD drive. After this 30 second pause/hang, MPTagThat then continues on quite happily.

I don't recall this behaviour on earlier releases of MPTagThat ....

Why is MPTagThat trying to access/read an empty CD/DCD drive?

Cheers,

Taipan

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    This is the Burner component trying to find, which drives are there.
    Seems that this is an issue.

I am currently rewriting the program and will fix that.
    Just accessing the drive, when we really need it, when someone activates the burner tab.

Can you post me the logs please?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Attached is a log file (I hope it is the correct one?) - I am not sure that it is going to be much help, except that I closed MPTagThat as soon as the DVD drive accesses stopped, which is about 30 seconds after I launched MPTagThat. I have the OS and MPTagThat installed on a SSD, so launching should be almost instantaneous.

Cheers

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Interesting. there is almost no delay in the log. less than 1 second

i will change the CD handling on the next version.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi hwahrmann,

I have installed the latest version and I still have the issue that MPTagThat is unresponsive for over 30 seconds while it is launching and I can hear the DVD drive being accesseed repeatedly - 6 or 7 times, with about 3 seconds between each access.

I have attached the log file.

For this log file, I shut down MPTagThat as soon as it became responsive, so you can see that I launched it at 42:04.859375 and it finally became reponsive at 42:39.687500 - nearly 35 seconds later ..... :confused:

Cheers,

Taipan

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Taipan,

try this one please.

i'm accessing the CD drives now only, when the Burner tab is clicked. So the startup should be much faster.
    Please test and let me know.

regards,

Helmut

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Helmut,

Yes, that new version is much faster to launch - less than a couple of seconds - thankyou very much .... :D

However, I notice that when I click on the 'Burn' tab, the DVD/CD drive is accessed six times in succession with about a three to four second delay between each access and the application is 'locked' during this period. I realise that you have moved the DCD/CD check routine to the 'Burn' tab and as I never use the 'Burn' functionality, it doesn't matter to me, but it it may bother other users? Is it not possible to change the code so it only checks for the DVD/CD drive just once instead of six successive times?

Cheers,

Dennis

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi Dennis,

cool that it works for you.
    Yes, i have moved it to the Burn function, cause we really need it only, when trying to burn a compilation.

And i am just checking only once. Don't know, why it is accessing the drive at your site six times.
    i'll investigate a bit further on my side. Maybe i can find the cause.
    But on all my machines that i have (XP, Win 7 32 and Win 7 64), it takes less than 2 seconds to do the test, when i choose the Burn tab.

regards,

Helmut

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom