mpTinoMediaServer beta (1 Viewer)

Kaoh

Portal Pro
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Based on the OpenLounge UPnP server, mpTino started updating and expanding the plugin for latest MP versions, and I joined in to get a release out.

Well happy news:

We got a first beta for the early testers that are willing.
I have it running now for a couple of days stable and fine.
I do not have a video/image client, so I only tested those with tools, not sure about the video working so far ;-)

The music part is fully tested though.

Its only tested on my side on a svn from 04-29 (full Tv server setup and those must all be in sink etc etc ;-)

This version has the following features:
- Custom server name
- Optional building of toplevel all items folders (a full list of all your mp3 files for example)
- Optional including of shares configured in MP for each media type. So if you specified in your Music plugin what folders to use, this plugin can adopt those settings
- Optional adding shares yourself, specify optionally what media type it should allow.
- Optional conversion of M3U playlist files to full folders, this allows a client that does not support M3U files to use them like they were normal folders.
- Supplied content filtering, when adding shares you can specify what content it should host, this way it will only host music files in a music share and skipping folder.jpg images for example, this is optionally. Shares added from the MP plugins auto filter depending on their plugin source, so shares added from the Music plugin will filter to music content only.
- Display name formatting, it uses the full ID3v1 info to format the name, you can customize this formatting, independen for normal files and items in the playlists.

Known issues:
- Loading of MP with this plugin can take a long time depending on your amount of files (items from M3U files count as well when conversion option is enabled)
- While server is running updates to the folders isnt all that yet, no filtering of the content if a share is filtered to for example Music only. Sometimes folders/files that are deleted are not released till MP shutsdown. Adding items will mostly not parse ID3 or image info since virus scanners lock the files while the server is trying to parse them

Things I still want to add:
- Auto generating of playlist, I want to have in each folder a playlist item that lets me play all songs from this point on.

Update: Final release was done, use the download page:
https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/startdown/352/

Jean-Marc

Portal Pro
February 28, 2007
Home Country
France France
I don't understand the exact interest of this server.
Could you please explain the difference between this server and a HD that is directly connected on the intranet?
I personnaly use different clients MP, but all these clients access to the media (music, films) that are stored on one single HD. What would be the difference if I use your server?
Thanks!

Kaoh

Portal Pro
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It unlocks MP as UPnP host server.
UPnP is a system that allows clients to stream media from the host, offcourse you can use UPnP client software on pc's but then your right, direct disc access works better then.
But there are also cheap media playing hardware sollutions on the market. These UPnP hardware clients you can place in your bedroom or bathroom etc, they can now play the music from your collection.
I have a UPnP hardware client in my bathroom on WIFI, so a small simple device with speakers attached now can play my full MP3 collection in my bathroom.
Normally you need special software for this (UpnP host servers) and this plugin enables this support in MP. So with a 24/7 running MP server and no other software, al my media playing devices now all use the same config for playing music and video.

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Yeah that's great ! Nice work guys. I will get my first flat in 3 weeks and then I'll buy one of this UPnP thin client and test. Thanks

GuyBrush

June 8, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Will this work with XBMC? It has an UPnP option. Would be nice if it could stream TV directly to my Xbox :-P

Kaoh

Portal Pro
September 11, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
in theory, Yes it should.
Any UPnP client should be able to use this server.
But it is untested, so if your willing ;-)
And if you test, please test all media types please:
- Music (with and without M3U converted)
- Video
- Images

:D

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This won't stream live tv in real-time to a UPnP client (XBMC in my case) will it?

Kaoh

Portal Pro
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nope sorry, that is not a feature that was implemented.
    I'll put it somewhere down the wish list.
    But since its a bit hard for us to test this it may stay there (down)....
    The Intel UPnP dll's that are the base of this server may not support this even.

fharms

Portal Member
    October 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hey

This sound very nice.

Could any one recommend an UPnP client I can try and what do I need to know for connecting the client to MP (port number).

/Flemming

Kaoh

Portal Pro
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I use Philips Streamium devices myself.
    But for software clients I believe Media player 11 should be capable also.

But there are many devices of many brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom