MS SQL Server Express 2005 using dynamic TCP ports (1 Viewer)

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    After installation of MP1.0, I found out that the MS SQL Server Express was using dynamic ports.

The Windows Firewall is not configured for this, so incoming connections to the SQL server are dropped. Check Windows firewall logs.

To avoid this configure MS SQL server to use TCP port 1433 (port 1433 should be opened in Windows fw by the MP installer). Select SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration -> Protocols. Select TCP/IP and right click to adjust its properties, select IP Addresses tab and go to bottom where you find IPAll, there clear the value from TCP Dynamic Ports and add 1433 to TCP Port. After this either reboot computer or restart SQL Service.

I haven't noticed any real problems with this but after I changed to port 1433 startup times for the MP client significantly decreased in my multiseat enviroment.

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for the tip. Worked great.

I wonder if the deploy tool for MP can automatically set this at install time. My setup was horribly slow before making this setting change.

mre15

Portal Member
    January 9, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I also have this problem, after I have changed the ip to 1433 though I get a bigger problem.
    The sql server wont start error13.
    Above the IPAll I have several other IP configs 1 to 7 I think, all have a 0 in the dynamic ip and nothing in the ip.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    A picture says more than 1000 words...

Attachments

• conf.PNG
      conf.PNG
      17.7 KB

mre15

Portal Member
    January 9, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for that,
    If I do as you have by putting 1433 in the tcp with nothing in the dynamic port then I get the error 13, cannot start sql server.
    However, I have found if I leave the number that was in the dynamic one there and add the 1433 into tcp it now works.
    Strange, but at least its working.

Cheers.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thanks for that,
    If I do as you have by putting 1433 in the tcp with nothing in the dynamic port then I get the error 13, cannot start sql server.
    However, I have found if I leave the number that was in the dynamic one there and add the 1433 into tcp it now works.
    Strange, but at least its working.

Cheers.

Look at Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional resources for TcpView. You'll find that port 1433 is already in use by someone.

Simone

Retsok

Portal Member
    November 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the info. This solved my issue of multiseat with long duration of "loading windows plugins" problem. Now it takes only 2 seconds to load instead of 14 seconds. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom