Ongoing MSI MEGA 180 widescreen resolution support (1 Viewer)

snewman

Portal Member
January 30, 2006
Australia
Hi,

I have a MSI MEGA 180 that I originally bought for its small form factor, but now I am going to turn it into my HTPC plugged in to my new 37" LCD TV.

I want to run the TV at 1280 x 768 out of the RGB port rather than using S-Video, but the nVidia onboard graphics doesn't support that resolution.

I've checked the MSI and nVidia websites but haven't found any newer drivers. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Sean

--

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    snewman said:
    my new 37" LCD TV.I want to run the TV at 1280 x 768 out of the RGB port --
    If your new LCD TV is 16:9 (widescreen), then the correct resolution to use is 1280x720.

snewman

Portal Member
    January 30, 2006
    Australia
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Actually the native resolution of my TV is 1366 x 768, but I thought the closest I would get is 1280 x 768.

I've actually found a program called PowerStrip that allows me to define my own resolutions, so I'm going to try that.

--

snewman

Portal Member
    January 30, 2006
    Australia
    Hi,

Just thought I'd post a follow-up in case anyone else is interested.

I was able to configure a custom resolution of 1366 x 768 on the MEGA 180 using PowerStrip.

It looks great with one small hitch - on my Toshiba 37" LCD the image seems to be offset by a couple of pixels to the left. Doesn't matter too much, just means I can't see half of the S in Start on my Windows desktop.

--

sylvio2000

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    snewman

As I see you have a MSI Mega 180. My brother bought one some weeks ago. He wants to use it as a PC and an HTPC. He would like to use one remote for everything. The msi-remote will not work I think within MP. What about the Hauppauge remote. Do you have one? Will it work? My brother tried MCE 2005 and the MSI Mediacenter (tv only works with msi tv-card)

Now I would like to ask you something :)
    1. Does MP work with the onboard graphics-card? Because its only DX7.
    2. Is it possible to use the lcd within MP? Is it supported by the lcd-plugin?
    3. Do you use the MSI-remote. Is it possible?

Skar29

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2006
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1. Does MP work with the onboard graphics-card? Because its only DX7.

Yes works perfectly. Its DX8

2. Is it possible to use the lcd within MP? Is it supported by the lcd-plugin?

No this is not possible

3. Do you use the MSI-remote. Is it possible?

Yes it works with Girder and the MSI Mega PlugIn

paddinho

Portal Member
    March 27, 2006
    The North
    snewman said:
    Hi,

Just thought I'd post a follow-up in case anyone else is interested.

I was able to configure a custom resolution of 1366 x 768 on the MEGA 180 using PowerStrip.

It looks great with one small hitch - on my Toshiba 37" LCD the image seems to be offset by a couple of pixels to the left. Doesn't matter too much, just means I can't see half of the S in Start on my Windows desktop.

--

snewman

If your image is shifted a little to the left it's because the horizontal back porch is a little too low. Try increasing it by 2 or 3 & see how it looks (there's no need to change any other settings).

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom