Multiple displays support? (1 Viewer)

Lolita

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Hello i was not in mediaportal for i while, i switched to meedio (which is not developed anymore) so can mediaportal now run on secondary display whithouth problems and with performance like on primary?

BTW it is realy nice when i was using meedio + girder 3 i can work on my primary with keyboard and mouse and with remote control i can control meedio independently in same time ... but it is not developed anymore so i want something with future :).

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Due to Windows not being able to do DirectX Hardware Acceleration on the secondary display, the answer is no. Maybe Vista may change this, because DX10 should allow DX on the secondary display. The issue is not with MP, but with Windows.

There is a proper workaround, though. There are plugins that "swicth" primary & secondary display on startup of MP. The only thing you would have to do is move your start menu...

Lolita

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    DirectX can run on secondary (etc.) screen, just look at dxdiag and run test on display 2,3,.. whatever and you will see directx rendered app on that screen while primary is still primary, it is all about media poratal.

And no many applications can only run on primary or start always on primary or throw dialog boxes always on primary ...

Anyway answer is simply NO so nevermind.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sure DirectX runs on a secondary monitor. And sure MediaPortal runs on a secondary monitor. It's just not hardware-accelerated, so unusable for MediaPortal. You can even find this info about this design flaw in the manfacturer's drivers documentation.

Lolita

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Weird ... but i will trust you .... btw there was menu in media portal where you can set something (resolution, refresh rate and graphic adapter [each displays act as one graphic adapter]) and it started accelerated on secondary display, but is unstable unsppoted etc.

mrman

Portal Member
    January 14, 2006
    59°19.8'N, 18°29.0'E
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Lolita, why do you want to run MP on secondary display?

I have a dual monitor setup and the only samll issue I have is that some windows opens on (and "behind") MP, but they are easily moved to secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom