Multiple movie folders (1 Viewer)

arthurbear

November 10, 2009
Just posted this in media portal section.Mod there said to post my question here

Code:
Hi To All,My first post ( In the right area i hope )

I have just started using media portal and i am very impressed with the layout and function.

Two questions I am unable to locate answers to:-

1:I have installed the Moving pictures Plugin.I want to make separate folders for movie trilogys I:E Matrix,Terminators Etc
I thought it was easy with moving pictures by making a folder for each movie trilogy and loading it with moving pictures,Not so as when i launched media portal all the movies are still in one place not separate.Am i missing something??

:D:D:D:D

LRFalk01

Portal Pro
August 27, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
You are not missing anything. The functionality you are describing will be available in 0.8. You will be able to setup filters/categories. Unless you are saying that you want to see something like 'Matrix' on your movie list, and when you select that item, it comes up with those three movies. I do not believe that will be available in 0.8.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    You can do this but it will use the cover and info from the first Matrix

name them like this

Matrix.cd1
    Matrix.cd2
    Matrix.cd3

when you click on Matrix it should ask which disc to play which will actually be what movie to play
    This is actually kinda cool also if you want to watch them all for some long movie watching, it will play 1 after the other.

This method works for now by tricking movingpictures into thinking the movie The Matrix is a 3 part movie

TheGlassjaw

Portal Member
    May 8, 2009
    Home Country
    The filters/categories will NOT do what you want; they simply allow you to show only movies that fit certain criteria in the movie list (such as creating categories for HD vs SD content). In v0.8 you will be able to create these categories which group items that meet the filter criteria together and only the categories you create will appear in the list - no individual movies will be displayed in this view. You need to go into the category to view the items that it contains. So basically, like I said before, if you have categories set up for SD/HD, when you first go to your movies, you will see two folders (HD & SD). Once you select one of those, you are brought to a second interior list which shows all of the movies based on the category's filter (in this case either SD or HD content, depending on which you selected). What you actually want is a hybrid of the "categories" feature and the current all movies list. It's basically a "box set" feature which will group movies based on a current filter, yet display each "category (box set)" along with the rest of your entire movie collection. Juding by the goole code page, it seems that this feature is currently slated to appear in v0.9.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    There is a lot of information here, but just to crystalize things, in the next release you will be able to group movies together in any way you like. By folder, genre, resolution, etc. Anything that Moving Pictures has information about. The only caveat is movies and groups are never combined in a single list. "Box set" functionality is coming in 0.9.

unwire

Portal Member
    October 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Regarding multi-part naming, I have scored the forums for an answer, but have been unable to find one to this related question:

The MP importer seems to have support for multi-part movies if they are a single file and have -cdx appended to them, as ryan pointed out.

However, my movies have all been ripped directly from the DVD and saved in VIDEO_TS folders:

\movie 1-CD1\VIDEO_TS
    \movie 1-CD2\VIDEO_TS

When running the importer, it is shown as two separate movies. I have tried various combinations of subfolder namings, but can't seem to get it to work.

One suggested solution is to convert these to .iso. I would prefer not to have to go through all of them though.

Is there any way to have the importer recognize and group multi-part movies when they are in this format?

Thanks!

nokmond

Portal Pro
    January 25, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Regarding multi-part naming, I have scored the forums for an answer, but have been unable to find one to this related question:

The MP importer seems to have support for multi-part movies if they are a single file and have -cdx appended to them, as ryan pointed out.

However, my movies have all been ripped directly from the DVD and saved in VIDEO_TS folders:

\movie 1-CD1\VIDEO_TS
    \movie 1-CD2\VIDEO_TS

When running the importer, it is shown as two separate movies. I have tried various combinations of subfolder namings, but can't seem to get it to work.

One suggested solution is to convert these to .iso. I would prefer not to have to go through all of them though.

Is there any way to have the importer recognize and group multi-part movies when they are in this format?

Thanks!

I've just run into the same problem! Anyone?:D

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

\movie 1-CD1\VIDEO_TS
    \movie 1-CD2\VIDEO_TS

Did you try renaming the structure into:

\movie 1\CD1\VIDEO_TS
    \movie 1\CD2\VIDEO_TS

Combined with using 'Prefer Folder Name For Movie Matching' and 'Always Group Files In The Same Folder' that might work.

unwire

Portal Member
    October 2, 2009
    Home Country
    RoChess,

Thanks for the ideas - I did not have 'Always Group Files In The Same Folder' checked, so I tried that and renamed my folders as you suggested.

However, this didnt seem to work either. When it scans it comes back with two matches, both with the same movie name (see attachment).

Has anyone had any luck with multi-disc DVD rips that aren't in .iso format?

Attachments

• MPImport.JPG
      MPImport.JPG
      22.2 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom