multiseat streaming doesnt work on newly installed win7/vista (1 Viewer)

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    multiseat streaming doesnt work on any client after fresh install tvserver on fresh install win7 or fresh installvista sp2(I tried both several times)..everytime the same result:

the clients keep coming up with a screen that says:
    ports seem to be blocked:
    1433 ms sql (although tvserver installs mysql)
    31xxx remote control
    (message stays the same even when disabling firewall)

on the tvserver itself, when installing the client everything works perfectly.
    but no way to get streaming to work on any client remote.

i did however get it to work again ..

solution install RC2 first.. and then upgrade..

so there must be something broken somewhere which is included in RC2 but not in the final version.

if you want me to test something else or start with a different version let me know..

ive spend approx 12 hours now, so a few more wont hurt.. :D

Zepman

Portal Member
    July 28, 2010
    Can you access the TCP ports on the server manually from the clients when you only install the latest MediaPortal?

Install Telnet Client on a client (Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off) and open a command prompt. Try 'telnet {IPofServer} 1433' and 'telnet {IPofServer} 31456'. If any fail to connect, it's probably a firewall issue on your server.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Please post full logs from both server and client. Also make sure you do not have any 3rd party firewall (MP installer can only configure Windows own firewall).

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Can you access the TCP ports on the server manually from the clients when you only install the latest MediaPortal?

Install Telnet Client on a client (Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off) and open a command prompt. Try 'telnet {IPofServer} 1433' and 'telnet {IPofServer} 31456'. If any fail to connect, it's probably a firewall issue on your server.

as stated... it does happen even with firewall turned off..
    (also netstat on the tvserver showed the client connected but not to the ports "that seem to be blocked"

and why does it work when starting from RC2 and then upgrading (with firewall on)?

I just reinstalled with clean win7 now and all updates again, making an image from this. and then will start again and report here with screenshots.

hmmm , the only thing is , i already had my clients on final version, the tvserver before the one i am trying to install was using MS sql and not mysql.
    so question is..
    after a "client" connects to a tvserver that had MS SQL and worked ..
    will it still work when you change IP to a new tvserver that is actually using MYSQL ?
    thats the only difference , that cant be it can it ?

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    31xxx remote control

hmmm , the only thing is , i already had my clients on final version, the tvserver before the one i am trying to install was using MS sql and not mysql.
    so question is..
    will it still work when you change IP to a new tvserver that is actually using MYSQL ?

When the client starts it does not know which DB server is being used by TV Server. It needs to contact TV Server to get that information. Unfortunately contacting TV Server on startup means that if it is not available MP will freeze until the connection times out. So this is deferred until it is really necessary to contact TVServer (e.g. when you start live TV). In the mean time the client still tries to connect to the DB server it used last time. In your case the previously used DB server was MSSQL, so until you try to start live TV the client still think TV Server is using MSSQL (even if you have switched it to MySQL). That is why the test for port 1433. Also on a clean install, before connecting to TV Server, the client assumes previous connection was to MSSQL.

We have been discussing how to solve this issue, without reintroducing the startup freeze in case of misconfiguration, but we have not yet come to a conclusive decision.

BUT, you still have the problem that you cannot connect to 31456 (which is used by TV Server). This is most definitely a firewall issue.

However without logs and detailed network config, it is impossible to know what is going on.

PS: Is server installed on Win7 or Win2008? I am asking because in your post you say Win7 but in your signature and system specs you say 2008.

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    31xxx remote control

so question is..

When the client starts it does not know which DB server is being used by TV Server. It needs to contact TV Server to get that information. Unfortunately contacting TV Server on startup means that if it is not available MP will freeze until the connection times out. So this is deferred until it is really necessary to contact TVServer (e.g. when you start live TV). In the mean time the client still tries to connect to the DB server it used last time. In your case the previously used DB server was MSSQL, so until you try to start live TV the client still think TV Server is using MSSQL (even if you have switched it to MySQL). That is why the test for port 1433. Also on a clean install, before connecting to TV Server, the client assumes previous connection was to MSSQL.

We have been discussing how to solve this issue, without reintroducing the startup freeze in case of misconfiguration, but we have not yet come to a conclusive decision.

BUT, you still have the problem that you cannot connect to 31456 (which is used by TV Server). This is most definitely a firewall issue.

However without logs and detailed network config, it is impossible to know what is going on.

PS: Is server installed on Win7 or Win2008? I am asking because in your post you say Win7 but in your signature and system specs you say 2008.

I have multiple systems, i do have a tvserver on win2008 aswell , this one works no problem.
    i have a tvserver on vista aswell , this one died on me (hardware), so was installing a new one with win7 at first and tried vista sp2 aswell (thats where the first post came from)

thanks for the explanation for the mssql/mysql startup procedure.

BUT there is still NO firewall present , (i even had it connected with CROSS cable , which rules out most of the network config !!)

here are the client logs of 1 of the clients that is not working
    (all my clients are Apple minimacs with 2 gb of memory, with bootcamp on it and running windows7)

there are no logs anymore of the tvserver install, i just reinstalled it again with win7 and all updates..
    creating image now , so i can test more easily.

i will install again and provide logs for that one aswell.

Attachments

• TsReader-2010-07-26.zip
      146.6 KB

Zepman

Portal Member
    July 28, 2010
    It's actually quite easy:

Does telnet to TCP port 31456 work (I still haven't read a clear 'yes' or 'no')? Then indeed it's no firewall issue. Copy gentle.config from your server (look in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server) to your client (%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal). Make a backup of the old gentle.config and try again.

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It's actually quite easy:

Does telnet to TCP port 31456 work (I still haven't read a clear 'yes' or 'no')? Then indeed it's no firewall issue. Copy gentle.config from your server (look in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server) to your client (%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal). Make a backup of the old gentle.config and try again.

its getting weirder...

the port reported by the client 31456 is actually connected ?

see netstat from the server..
    servername = streambakje
    client = wk1

so i would say YES

however there is a difference when i install tvserver on vista or on win7..
    with tvserver installed on vista the client reports 1433 and 31456 seem to be blocked..
    with tvserver on win7 the client reports nothing , it just minimized itself to the taskbar and hangs itself. (while 31456 is connected indeed).

first want to try out more stuff before i copy gentle config, sounds way to easy :D
    ill update this post later on when i have tried more stuff.

Attachments

• netstat.PNG
      netstat.PNG
      22.1 KB

Zepman

Portal Member
    July 28, 2010
    first want to try out more stuff before i copy gentle config, sounds way to easy :D
    The only thing gentle.config contains is information for software to connect to a DBMS. If you copy this file from the server to your client, MediaPortal will use the exact same settings which the TV server uses to connect to MySQL.

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The only thing gentle.config contains is information for software to connect to a DBMS. If you copy this file from the server to your client, MediaPortal will use the exact same settings which the TV server uses to connect to MySQL.

your 100% right.. worked right away after copying gentle.config to the location you provided.

i did however found out that also on vista tvserver the port 31456 is actually connected (while the client reports that it aint).

this might create the way to program a solution to help users get around this.. because arion_p stated that there was no decision made how to solve it..

if 31456 is connected but database wont, stop trying (before 5 minuts are wasted) and check if there is a new config or get new config from tvserver (sounds way to easy i know) :D

but the fact that 31456 is connected anyway could give the developers something to work with!?

now the question remains.. is it a bug ... dont think so , if you cleanly install everything also clients, it wont happen ?
    it only happens if you go from DB to another DB while you have clients already installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom