MultiShortcut with hulu software (1 Viewer)

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for such a quick turnaround! It doesn't seem to be executing one after the previous one exits though.

For example:

Program 1 executes nircmd.exe setsysvolume 35000. This works.

Program 2 executes Hulu Desktop. Also works.

Program 3 executes nircmd.exe setsysvolume 65535. This runs, however it does so right away - not after I close Hulu Desktop. The net result is the volume gets lowered by half and then immediately raised to full again before Hulu Desktop even finishes loading.

If I run just program 1 and 2 then the volume gets set to half and stays there, so that seems to be working. It seems that program 3 isn't waiting for program 2 (HuluDesktop.exe) to exit first.

Any ideas? There are some new config options not in the help file as well.

Thanks again for taking a look at this I really appreciate it!

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : MultiShortcut plugin

Are you sure your params are OK ?

Attachments

• zz.png
      zz.png
      76.4 KB

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Re: MultiShortcut plugin

Yes, but I did some troubleshooting and it appears this may be an issue with HuluDesktop.exe for some reason.

When I tried using the examples in your screenshot (paint, notepad, calc) everything worked like it should, paint launched, I closed it, notepad launched, I closed it, calc launched. However my config (nircmd.exe, hulu desktop, nircmd.exe) still did not.

So I tried inserting Huludesktop as the second program in your example, so I could at least see what was going on. What happened then was, Paint launched, I closed it, then HuluDesktop started to load but at the same time Calc launched too. For some reason the plugin doesn't see Hulu Desktop as still "running".

I checked task manager and when you launch Hulu Desktop it's executable, HuluDesktop.exe, does show as running, but for some reason the plugin doesn't think so. I tried moving Huludesktop.exe out of it's default /%user%/AppData/Local/HuluDesktop location thinking that was maybe the problem, but even though HuluDesktop does work from another location the plugin doesn't think it's still running.

Do you have any ideas why this may be the case? I'm using Windows 7 x64.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France

If you try to launch hulu by this :

/%user%/AppData/Local/HuluDesktop\instances\0.9.14.1\HuluDesktop.exe

Is Hulu still working for you ?
    I can't verify cause, it seems this soft is only for users located in United States.

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Re: Re : MultiShortcut plugin

I can't verify cause, it seems this soft is only for users located in United States.

Yes Hulu works, it's just that program 3 launches with it even though it's configured to wait. I can send you the installer if you like (it will still run so you can test, you just won't be able to connect to Hulu).

Maybe there needs to be a way to configure a short delay? HuluDesktop seems to take a few seconds to load; perhaps the executable is not seen as "running" fast enough, so the plugin launches program 3 right away instead of waiting.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France

So, if it works for you with :

then put it inside MultiShortcut configuration.
    Normally, you will have your workaround cause in this case, third program is waiting for hulu ended before launch. ;)
    No wait needed.

ixian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2007
    Home Country

So, if it works for you with :

then put it inside MultiShortcut configuration.
    Normally, you will have your workaround cause in this case, third program is waiting for hulu ended before launch. ;)
    No wait needed.

Sorry! I didn't understand you the first time. I see the problem now, the actual executable that's running is in /%user%/AppData/Local/HuluDesktop\instances\0.9.14.1\HuluDesktop.exe which I didn't realize at all, I thought it was /%user%/AppData/Local/HuluDesktop\HuluDesktop.exe.

You are right, when I use the other path it works! Only problem I see with this approach is Hulu does auto-update from time to time and probably updates that version number in the path as well but I can live with that for now. Maybe at some point you could configure this plugin to give you two options - the executable to launch, and the executable to "watch" for close?

Thanks again for all your help. Merci bien!

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : Re: Re : MultiShortcut plugin

Maybe at some point you could configure this plugin to give you two options - the executable to launch, and the executable to "watch" for close?
    With the specific case of hulu, it will not help cause, executable has the same name "HuluDesktop.exe" but maybe could you ask to hulu devs why they launch an .exe wich launch another .exe ?

Thanks again for all your help. Merci bien!
    lol, you're welcome. De rien! :)

prei

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 13, 2010
    Home Country

I have the same issue with HuluDesktop on Windows 7. It launches HuluDesktop and then runs mediaportal immediatly after and does not wait for hulu to end.

Might it be because a 32 bit app running on a 64 Bit system has the "*32" at the end of the process name in task manager and therefore, the plugin thinks the process no longer exists?

Thaks,
    pete

itoig

Portal Member
    August 8, 2009
    Home Country

I have the same issue with HuluDesktop on Windows 7. It launches HuluDesktop and then runs mediaportal immediatly after and does not wait for hulu to end.

Might it be because a 32 bit app running on a 64 Bit system has the "*32" at the end of the process name in task manager and therefore, the plugin thinks the process no longer exists?

Thaks,
    pete

make sure the setting for keep mediaportal on top is disabled. also make sure in the config for you hulu plugin, that everything is set to false except for stop mediaportal player, which should be set to true. this will move mediaportal to the background and hulu desktop forward. once you hit exit, mediaportal is still running and you can scroll through the menus. i found that using the restart mediaportal set to true was screwing things up for me. i am using windows 7 x64 home premium. and most x86 (32bit) programs will work on a 64 bit OS, you just get 2 different program file folders. heck even 64bit programs will install itself in the and run from the x86 folder.

also make sure you have the directory where the .exe. is listed. best place to get most of the information needed for the plugin is from the desktop shortcut for hulu, it gives its directory it is located in and what file to run.

hope that helps. i don't have access to my htpc at the moment, but i will double check my shortcut settings when i get home if you need me too.

also change the %user% to it's actual location, i never had much luck using those, so it would be c:/users/your name/appdata/local/whatever else is there for hulu desktop folder. not sure if you have to do that, just makes me feel better and nitpicking a little

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom