Music DSP effects (1 Viewer)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I've just committed some code, which allows you using DSP (Digital Signal Processing) effects, while playing music through the BASS engine.

BASS allows 3 types of effects:

• BASS Internal effects
      Here we have:
      • Gain: Amplifies the channel signal by a given factor.
      • Dynamic Amplification: Applies dynamic Amplification with the selected Preset.
      • Compressor: Compressors are commonly used to control the level, by making loud passages quieter, and quiet passages louder.
    • VST Plugins
      You may use any VST compatible plugin.
      VST Plugins are available for example in products from Steinberg
    • WinAmp DSP Plugins
      WinAmp DSP Plugins may used as well, as long as they don't modify the sample.
      Note:I had to disable the WinAmp Plugin support for the time being, as it kept MediaPortal crashing. I'm in touch with the BASS people and will enable support when the problem is solved.

How to enable DSP processing

In MediaPortal Configuration -> Music -> Music DSP
    You MUST use the BASS audio engine as a player to use the DSP processing.

You may run any combination of Plugins and mix BASS internals, VST and Winamp.
    For you to be able to control how your changes will sound, you can select a muic file and start playing it.
    While playing you may change the parameters and notice the affect of your change.

For VST plugins and Winamp plugins, you may double click on a plugin in the right-hand side of selected plugins and the plugins own editor opens in a separate window, allowing you to change the parms.

When you start playing a file inside MediaPortal, all the selected DSP effects will be applied.

This is just the first release.
    I will start working on the ability to turn on/off effects inside MediaPortal.
    But first i want to solve the WinAmp issue with the BASS people.

As always, any suggestions and improvements are welcome.

thx,

Helmut

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    not hard, but currently we're not storing the ReplayGain for a song.
    once we have a new db design, that's one of my next tasks, we will be able to use it.

orencha

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2005
    Netanya
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Full ReplayGain support (for all formats, mostly mp3 and FLAC) will make MediaPortal the music player I've always dreamed of!

Currently I work with crappy DirectShow filters that work partly for MP3 (but OK for FLAC).

I also think both kind of RG tags should be usable ("track gain" and "album gain"). An optional 3-state button can be added to the UI (ReplayGain: off/track/album), or we can use the "TrackGain when in Shuffle mode, AlbumGain when not".

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    yes, good idea, but first i need to be aware of all the Gains for an individual file, which is only possible, when stored in the db.
    and therefor we need thr new db design.

ariyanto

Portal Member
    November 8, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Great plugins to use as well now just gets better and better.

one point to make i have tryed to use the test the playback in config when i select a music file i get an error sayng no valed music file found this is with mp3 and aac files

:D

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    hmm, mp3 must work out of the box.
    please try using plain mp3, no mp3pro or something like that

ariyanto

Portal Member
    November 8, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have tryed normal mp3 but no joy but it only a very minor problem as the sound from bass and ASIO is so good that i can live with it
    :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom