music library mode like the one in xbmc (1 Viewer)

xalaros

Portal Member
September 14, 2007
Home Country
Greece Greece
Hello, recently i've been experimenting with xbmc atlantis and i find that the library mode for music
is something mediaportal should be looking forward to, or at least a new pluging for music in mediaportal should do something similar to library mode in xbmc. Is there a plugin for mediaportal that handles music like moving pictures and mptvseries ? if there isn't are there plans to make one??

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Maybe this isn't what you want - but I think what you are looking for is the built in database views? (i assume you are just browsing by shares at the moment?)

jdubbs23

Portal Member
    December 8, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I seem to have a problem, I cannot change from the Shares view at all (which I hate). When I select a different view like Artist or Album Artist I get a scroll bar that never seems to complete with nothing else displayed. What am I doing wrong here?

I'm using the StreamedMP skin.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Have you scanned your Shares completely?
    Are all your files tagged, at least with Artist, Album, Title?
    Try with the default skin.

jdubbs23

Portal Member
    December 8, 2008
    Home Country
    I thought all my files were tagged appropriately, at least the majority of them are. I used to use WMP11, and in that program all of the albums have album art.

My directory is structured as such: All music in the Music directory, each artists has 1 folder, all albums are in a folder under the artist, and all songs associated with that album are in the album folder. I have tried MP with the box for "all files in a folder are treated as an album" both checked and unchecked with the same result.

When I view My Music with the Shares view, I see folders for each artist, with no picture (probably because I do not have a folder.jpg for each artist). Then if I click a folder for an artist, I am able to see the album art for the individual albums. I just do not like the basic Shares view, and when I select ANY other view, I get the status bar flying back and forth and nothing happens.

This has occurred on the basic skin as well.

Thanks for the reply, anything else I can try? I have been considering doing a fresh install with no skins/plugins.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    There are a number of Checkboxes, that deal with extractction of Cover Art. Please check them alland re-import your shares.

talking about: Configuration -> Music -> Music Database

look at the group boxes named: "Use for Thumb creation" and "use existing album thumbs to"

jdubbs23

Portal Member
    December 8, 2008
    Home Country
    I have gone through various configurations of check boxes, and currently have them all checked so it should be creating the folder.jpg and using whatever id3 tag information already exists. I am definitely seeing the album art for each album, but I do NOT seeing any art for the main folder of the artist. Is it incorrect to have 1 folder listed in the Music -> Folders box? Right now I just share D:\Music, and below that folder I have hundreds of folders for each artist. Within each artist folder, I have folders for each album.

Things seem to work, perhaps they are working as intended, I just hate the look of the Shares view which is a bunch of empty folders for each artist. No folder.jpg is being created for the main folder for the artists.

What doesn't seem to work is when I change the view to something other than Shares like Aritsts or Alubm Artists; nothing is displayed (and I let it run for about 2 hours to see if it was updating). I've been playing around with this a little morning, and I'm not getting anywhere. I think I will do a re-install with basic included skin unless someone else has any ideas.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    but that's what the second group box i mentioned above is there.
    You can create folder.jpg out of embeded cover art, and those will be used for the Arist picture

Look into your AppData directory, there should be a folder for MP and inside you#ll find a Thumbs\Music folder, which should contain the extracted cover art.

jdubbs23

Portal Member
    December 8, 2008
    Home Country
    I have the 3 boxes checked to create the folder.jpg and thumbs for genres and stuff, yet nothing is created. There is no folder.jpg created for the main artist folder, only within the albums beneather the main artist folder. I cannot find anything in the AppData related to MediaPortal. I have made sure to change the view in explorer to show hidden files.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    What doesn't seem to work is when I change the view to something other than Shares like Aritsts or Alubm Artists; nothing is displayed (and I let it run for about 2 hours to see if it was updating). I've been playing around with this a little morning, and I'm not getting anywhere. I think I will do a re-install with basic included skin unless someone else has any ideas.

From what you describe I am pretty sure that you did not scan your music collection.

The config screen from the wiki manual is slightly outdated, but you should find the button "update database from selected shares".

Database

Once you can use the database views, you might want to try the last.fm and audioscrobbler plugin. It allows a batch download of thumbs for most of your artists in good quality.

tomtom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom