Music playback stops if DVI LCD-TV is turned off (1 Viewer)

tigerente

Portal Member
July 11, 2006
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2
Windows Version: XP Professional
CPU Type: Pentium M 735
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: AOpen i915GMm-HFS
Motherboard Bios: Most recent one
Video Card: Intel Extreme Graphics i915GMm
Video Card Driver: Most recent one
Sound Card: Intel HDA (Realtek 880)
Sound Card Driver: Most recent one
1. TV Card: (not affected)
MPEG2 Video Codec: (not affected)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: (not affected)
Satelite/CableTV Provider: (not affected)
HTPC Case: (not affected)
Cooling: (not affected)
Power Supply: (not affected)
Remote: (not affected)
TV: Medion LCD32
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-D

Hi there! Turning my LCD-TV off (1366x768, connected via DVI-D) while MediaPortal is doing some playback leads to different errors:

1. When playing music (ogg or mp3 in "My Music" as well as listening to Shoutcast streams), music stops as soon as I turn off the TV.

2. When watching TV (not fullscreen, My TV main window) and doing the same thing (turn of screen, turn it on again), the MediaPortal window is black and does not cover the whole screen anymore (only 1280x768, screen resolution is still 1366x768, windows desktop is visible on the right beyond that region). MediaPortal can only be shut down with Alt+F4.

3. When watching TV in *fullscreen* mode, the MediaPortal window is black and the resolution has changed to 1280x768 (no desktop visible). MediaPortal can only be shut down with Alt+F4.

Additional info:

- When using Windows Media Player (also with Visualization) for playback, the problem does not occur.
- When connecting the screen with VGA, the problem does not occur as well but is not an optimal solution due to inferior video quality

Relevant error paragraphs can be found below. Would be great if this can be solved - I like to test any promising updates (please reply here then).

Cheers, thanks a lot and keep up the good work,

tigerente

============== Relevant Error Log for music playback ============

(Error log translated from german):

Exception: Error in application. -2005530520 (D3DERR_DEVICELOST) at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device...
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.PresentInternal(tagRECT sourceRectangle, tagRECT destRectangle, control overrideWindow)
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Present()
at MediaPortalApp.Render(Single timePassed)
(almost same thing again)

g_Player.Stop()
g_player.OnStopped()

============== Relevant Error Log for TV playback ============

PlaneScene: video WxH: 768x576
PlaneScene: screen WxH: 1280x768
PlaneScene(768,576,768,576,2328992,False,8):Unhandled exception in Error in application. Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D...
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.PresentInternal(tagRECT, sourceRectangle, tagRect destRectangle, Contol overrideWindow)
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Present()

(...the last error messages are repeated over and over again until the screen has been switched on again. Then, after turning it on again: )

GUIFont:texture disposing:0 debug
GUIFont:texture disposing:1 font10
(...)
TexturePacker: disposing texture:199
(...)
TexturePacker: disposing texture:195
Main: Exiting
Recorder: stop

(then, after quitting with Alt+F4):

VMR9Helper: playing->repaing 5
Recorder: Stop all tuners
(...)
Commandprocessor stopped
MPMain: PluginManager.Stop()
(...)

tigerente

Portal Member
July 11, 2006
Two updates: (1) My Skin entry above was wrong (Blue Two Wide), probably not important and (2) Problem remains in current SVN build (20.02. 20:00) with fresh 0.2.2 installation.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    MP doesn't like changes to the video device (ie the device being lost) while its showing video (for example doing Ctrl-Alt-Del while playing in a window will result in a black screen).

However, it is quite odd that this happens when you turn off your TV. It sounds like your desktop resolution changes when you turn off the TV(or at least when you turn it on), based on the fact that MP is sized incorrectly, causing this problem for MP. You might want to try to update your video card drivers or see if there are any settings that cause this. It might be some auto-adjustment of the desktop resolution. I would suggest installing a VNC server on the HTPC so you can connect from another PC and see what happens on the desktop when you turn off the TV.

tigerente

Portal Member
    July 11, 2006
    Hi, Ziphnor!

Thanks for your answer - it indeed is the problem that the resolution changes from 1366x768 to 1280x768 if my LCD-TV is turned off, even with the most recent driver that I updated to today. So I will contact Intel to see if they can find a solution to this problem.

However, this brings me to another point: You are very right that MP is picky wrt. resolution changes. It would be nice if MP could deal with resolution changes (apart from my problem) as running it in "window mode" (no fullscreen) actually causes the same problems: Whenever the window size is modified by dragging the corner of the main window, MP crashes except it is idle (no playback). Other software TV players (e.g. WinTV) support changing the window resolution during playback, and in many cases, it is very handy, e.g. if MP is used as TV playback while doing other stuff with the PC. I think it might be appreciated by users if they can change the window size while MP is running... or it might be better to only offer fullscreen mode.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom