Music Visualization "WMP 10 Bliss" and others vis horribly slow (1 Viewer)

shodan

January 4, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi,

First let me introduce myself, i'm a daily user of MP as home HTPC and i'm from belgium.

I really want to thank the mediaportal team for the job done - it's far beyond my expectations, and
it's a pro-looking software you created ! Thousand thanks for that.

BUT....i'm having a little problem, my last one of a long serie in fact. Using a custom HTPC,
i ran through alot of issues i resolved step by step ( dxva, codecs, controls, ....)
and now i want to use a new WMP10 visualization for music playing, WMP11 is installed on my htpc.

This vis can be found here : Visualizations for Windows Media Player
Its name is "Energy Bliss", and i think it uses some kind of basic GPU acceleration, but i'm not sure.
Downloaded and installed, it's selectable in MP config ; i confirm and i quit MP config utility.
Just a little check with WMP11 : the vis is looking really good, framerate is perfect, in normal size and in fullscreen.

After MP is restarded (blue3 theme), and music is played, the vis is showing but it's looking like i'm using some old pentium 90 as it's terribly slow. If i keep the vis in a thumbnail, the framerate is maybe reaching 8 to 10 fps, but in fullscreen it's like a slideshow....

I tried every kind of option i could find, with no success ( WMP11 video acceleration settings, MP video renderer, ATI control panel settings, ....), it remains slow.

So please help, why is it so slow ? Everything else is ok, from SD video to HD 1080p decoded by my ati 3650 gpu. The processor is never charged at all, i use DXVA and VMR9 for all my video content ( for supported codecs of course).

Thanks in advance,

Shodan

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The way the music visualization in MP 1.0 is implemented is most likely disabling the GPU acceleration. Hopefully in MPII we will have some improvements on that area.

shodan

January 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Thanks for your reply.

OK but why is it ok with the Winamp vis called "Milkdrop" ?
    Tried it yesterday and it displays perfectly in MP......

Is there any difference in the implementation between WMP plugins & Winamp plugins ?

Thanks,

Sho

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    By the sound of it, that plugin breaks GPU dxva as tourette states, so running through a directx intensive program like Mediaportal, it just cannot cope.

Milkdrop most probably handles directx video acceleration better by design :)

shodan

January 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    OK !

Thanks anyway for the help :)
    I'll continue to try some settings with this nice WMP plugin,
    but Milkdrop is cool and running fast on my system, so that's fixing my problem in some way :)

Thanks again !

Sho

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom