My Choice of Skin for Slow PC (1 Viewer)

Bernard

Portal Pro
March 5, 2012
Centurion
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
I have tried all the major skins on my very slow (1.6Ghz AMD Turion) laptop, and this skin performs a lot better than the other options.

I have grown tired of waiting for the Titan Skin to respond when using MePo on my old laptop in the bedroom. So I installed all the skins that was compatible with 1.4.0 and tried each. This one seems to have the least dynamic content that load while you navigate the menu's.

The only thing I need to still get rid of is the fanart background that loads when you select a movie in the movie list. It is fine that it loads on the "details" page, but the loading that happen when you change from one movie selection to the next is lagging.

In my quest to improve the performance on this client/laptop I have also disabled all the plugins that is not required to view series and movies. (I use one MP-TVSeries and Moving Pictures).

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this fanart background on the movie list screen (but not on the details screen)? I can probably hack it out of the skin files, but it would be best if I can stick with the standard files to facilitate upgrades...

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    There are some defines that can be set in the skin MovingPictures.xml file, if they are not already there you can enable/disable backdrops per layout/view e.g.

Code:
    <define>#largeicons.available:true</define>
    <define>#largeicons.backdrop.used:true</define>
    <define>#smallicons.available:true</define>
    <define>#smallicons.backdrop.used:true</define>
    <define>#list.available:true</define>
    <define>#list.backdrop.used:true</define>
    <define>#filmstrip.available:true</define>
    <define>#filmstrip.backdrop.used:true</define>
    <define>#coverflow.available:true</define>
    <define>#coverflow.backdrop.used:true</define>
    <define>#categories.backdrop.used:true</define>
    <define>#details.backdrop.used:true</define>

In your case you would set everything to false except for details.backdrop.used.

Last edited:

Lbr_Lion

Extension Designer
    July 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't know or you did find the option to disable all fanart, but it is located under Settings-->GUI-->Skin-->Disable All Fanart.

This option will disable also fanart in detail screens, but maybe I can extend this option with a possibility to keep fanart for detail screens only.

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    Thanks! This worked! And now the list is much more responsive for movie browsing.
    Edit: Ok, I edited the skinfiles and that worked. But I like the "settings" option more because it will stay after upgrades.

Last edited:

Lbr_Lion

Extension Designer
    July 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Please see the attached file if you want to keep fanart in detail view when all fanart is disbled. (Will probably add it also to the next update)

Attachments

• movingpictures.xml
      11.3 KB

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    I don't know or you did find the option to disable all fanart, but it is located under Settings-->GUI-->Skin-->Disable All Fanart.

This option will disable also fanart in detail screens, but maybe I can extend this option with a possibility to keep fanart for detail screens only.
    Thanks, this is what I was looking for! But feel stupid that I didn't even look there in the first place! For now I don't mind that all the fanart is off. But i would think that having fanart in the details is ok, Since I already found what I was looking for And then Would enjoy the added graphics experience.

I think the Answer would Depend On why users Would use The option. In My case i Want speed. But for a modern PC. The option may be used because someone don'T like the large photo Backgrounds.

I did notice That when i edit The skinfiles, a placeholder Image Is used, And if i use the option, the Background is using the general gray Skin background.

PS. This forum Does not play Nice With My Samsung Tab2, it capatalise random letters! :mad:[DOUBLEPOST=1373999890][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Please see the attached file if you want to keep fanart in detail view when all fanart is disbled. (Will probably add it also to the next update)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom