Completed My Cooler Master Cavalier 4 HTPC (1 Viewer)

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

This HTPC has been an ongoing project since march 2006, I've changed chassis 3 times and added some other stuff along the way.

This is the current setup.

HW and SW:
    SW: MediaPortal 0.2.0.4 + DVB Viewer 3.5 + Nvidia PureVideo
    Chassis: Cooler Master Cavalier 4 - Black
    CPU: AMD64 3200+ socket 939
    GPU: Asus Geforce 6600LE Silencer 256MB
    RAM: 2 * 1GB A-Data DDR400
    MB: ASUS A8N-E FM
    HDD: Seagate Baracuda 320GB
    DVD: NEC DVD+-RW
    Nic 1: Linksys Wireless USB2
    Nic 2: Onboard 100Mbit bridged with my Xbox 360 in order to allow Xbox Live access
    Remote: MCE 2005 Keyboard + Remote
    TV: Samsung LE40R51 40" LCD
    Audio: Yamaha YSP-800 connected via Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music (coaxial S/PDIF)

Tuners:
    Tuner 1: FloppyDTV-T with CAM
    Tuner 2: FloppyDTV-T with CAM
    Tuner 3: Hauppauge PVR USB2

Cooling:
    - Removed the dual 60mm and the 80mm fans
    - Added an Antec Cyclone PCI slot blower (stolen from my old Aria chassis)
    - Replaced the standard AMD heatsink and fan with an Artic Cooling Silencer Ultra TC

CPU temp is about 52C and the MB temp is at about 39C, pretty good considdering the removal of the chassis fans.

Some pictures:
    Cover removed
    In cabinett - please note the 3.5" modification in order to allow the Smart WI card

The dog and the wife loves it.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I did the same thing, those antec aria pci slot coolers are great. I found the HDD was running too hot in mine though so I added an external 80mm fan to the case and cut out the holes on the side of the HDD.

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I did the same thing, those antec aria pci slot coolers are great. I found the HDD was running too hot in mine though so I added an external 80mm fan to the case and cut out the holes on the side of the HDD.

Yeah my HDD is a bit hot, like 40-45C on average but I'll take the risk as I value the almost noicefree setup.

I got the idea with the Aria blower from your post, it really does magic. Seem to have decreased the temp of my passively cooled GPU by 10-15 degrees C.

Now it's just a matter of finding a place to hide med Hauppauge USB device and the MS IR receiver.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I hope the pci blower doesnt wear out as I cant imagine that specific antec aria model will be easy to find now they stopped making them. Ive tried a lot of other pci coolers and they were all too noisy.

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I hope the pci blower doesnt wear out as I cant imagine that specific antec aria model will be easy to find now they stopped making them. Ive tried a lot of other pci coolers and they were all too noisy.

Have you seen the dual Cyclone?
    http://www.antec.com/Detail.bok?no=344

My friend is using it with very good results, only problem is that it takes up 2 PCI slots. If my blower goes t*ts up I'll let the system run without it until it brakes and then purchase a mCubed chassis.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Yeh I actually got one of those for my main pc. It died within a few months, piece of crap that was. Cant fit that much in the htpc anymore, as Im using 4 of the 5 pci slots for tv cards + wireless card. The last slot is taken by the cooler and boy is that jammed in there. TV cards might not be that tall but the thickness really messes stuff up.

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Threw out the Twinhan CI-TER and replaced it with another FloppyDTV, everything works much better now and the intermittent stuttering on DVB-T channels has disapeared. The FloppyDTV-T is mounted in a PCI slot and connected directly to the 10-pin firewire connector on the motherboard, these cables are available through Digital Everywhere retailers - the cable is hand made by the D-E staff :)

Also added a Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music.

I really like both of the additions and they weren't that expensive since I bought bulk versions of both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom