My Dream... a perfect TimeShifting... (1 Viewer)

Vogel

Portal Member
March 28, 2009
Home Country
France France
I don't speak well english so I prefer to put an image to give us my dream...

I think that it's possible to increase the timeshifting experience of mediaportal with a few thing: just an association of timeshifting buffer and EPG informations... (like in phillips HDD-DVD combo if you know).

Mediaportal Now:

mediaportal_now.jpg

Mediaportal in futur... I hope:

simple timshifiting travel:

mediaportal_futur_simple.jpg

full timeshifting travel:

mediaportal_futur.jpg

... to improve timeshifting experience, I think we must catch all buffer's informations in only one picture...

but I'm don't know to code so please... there is someone who can build it ? :D

Thanx to all Mediaportal Team and long life to Mediaportal... :D

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
November 17, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
i like that idea, but i guess there has to be some kind of strong filtering.
I tend to zap between commercials and there would be quite a lot of "timeshift points", so it should filter those out
but in general it would make the timeshift experience much better. But i think it's not so easy to do, because if it would be, then recording of timeshifted material would also be "easily" possible and it seems that thats not the case.

maybe the timeshift file should change on a channel zap or something like that to make it more clear and easily detectable ?
and all files of a timeshift session get a special hash or value to make clear they belong together ...
so if you change the channel a new timeshift file is created with an xml (epg) that belongs to it.
aren't recording and timeshifting the "same" ? the only negative point i could think of is that zapping might be a bit slower due to the creation of a new file and that jumping between the files might be slower.
but thats just an idea by me, knowing to little of mp's internals...

Vogel

Portal Member
March 28, 2009
Home Country
France France
thank for your feedback JoeSmith... Yes you're right, it's not so easy that I though. But may be with the video buffer file we could have an EPG buffer file (just text) wich could store automaticaly time of channel zap & EPG information of viewed show... I'm not a coder but I thing it's possible... isn't it ?

the filter way in DVD-HDD combo of phillips is to store change only when you stay more of 3 min on the same channel.

just few explanation on picture (of first post):

The Timebar:
- as the original but with black line for channel change or white line for Tv show change on the same channel.
- channel logo added below at start of each channel change.
- The yellow line is the position in the buffer (here 10h48) on the timebar and on EPG menu too

The backMenu:
- upper the yellow line is the 4 previous show or channel change from buffer position.
- under the yellow line is the 3 next show or channel change from buffer position.

And to travel in buffer:
- just push right ou left on remote to go forward or backward by time step OR push Up ou Down to go to previous ou next show stored in buffer.

thx..

just to show you where i found the idea...

Picture of my Tv with Phillips DVD-HDD combo running in timeshifting buffer mode:

phillips_capture_picture.jpg

and picture of LCD of the Phillips during my travel in buffer:

phillips_vfd.jpg

the buffer is respresented by the bar at the bottom of each capture and the position in this buffer is the small hole in.
On the right "TF1" is the name of the channel wich is "in live"
On the left The title of the show corresponding to the position in the buffer is scrolling.

...& Just to give inspiration to coders ;)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    This all seems a little complicated to me - I prefer the simpler version of MPs original...

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Vogel i like very much your suggestion.

Probably its not easy to implement and mp should monitor each channel change and store the epg data in each channel, nevertheless i think its possible and very advance improvement for usability.

hopefully someone will be able to look into it, and submit a patch.

marck120

March 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello Greetings to all forum
    Sorry but I do not speak English, I am greatly interested the Timeshift by Vogel, I wanted to ask if you can deploy it to MediaPortal?
    Is there any software or satellite receiver with a time shift identical to this one?

This is the time shift that I use now on my hd dvd recorder philips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_iC9jEojgA

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom