Ongoing My first real HTPC project (1 Viewer)

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Dear all,

As you al know it is great to have al you media available in you living room. So last year I started playing with LinuxMCE on a old AMD athlon xp 1600+ system with a ATI radeon 9200 video card. Because a had absolute no idea of linux it has give me a lot of ... moments ;). Because I don't no anything about linux (read I can't install videocard drives :confused:) i was looking for a media system that rust on XP. Some time later I readed some tread on the dutch site tweakers, where a guy was telling a lot of Mediaportal and i thought why don't give it a try...
But i still was using that really crapy hardware, so I couldn't play 720p vids. Only the avi vids did work after a lot of ... moment. Those "moments" where caused by crapy hardware a bad codecs etc... I have used that pc for just a few months, because it was make a lot of noise, it was slow and not stable enough. So i planned to buy new hardware for a dedicated HTPC system, but sadly I can't buy al the hardware at once. Therefor I'm reusing some hardware from a other pc.

The hardware that I will reuse during the first fase of my project:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
CPU cooler: stock
PSU: Aopen (will at the specs later)
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4
Ram: 3 x 256Mb DDR400
HDD: 1 x 160Gb (sata)

The new hardware that I will use during this project:
Case: Silverstone LC20B (without imon stuff :D)
GPU: Sapphire HD5550 Ultimate
HDD: 2 x 2Tb (sata)
Ram: 1 x 1Gb DDR400

The hardware I will add during this project:
Remote: Logitech harmony one? or 700?
TV card: No idea yet
Cooler: At/replace coolers

The new hardware is current in order so I'm hoping that I can spent a few ours this weekend building the HTPC :D I will post my progress here and the questions that will rise else where on this forum.

Before I start I want to say thanks to everyone that has helpt me with info.

Greetings E

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Good for you that you have decided and have fun with it putting it together and seeing your first real HTPC coming to life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom