My Guide: nVidia Perfect Full Screen TV-Out (1 Viewer)

subz

October 18, 2006
Home Country
This is my guide to how I eventually setup my system for Mediaportal. My aim was only to have full screen TV-Out where all Mediaportal menus were easily readable on the TV and for Mediaportal to not minimize or shrink to a window when stopping or finishing a video. Here's how I did it, I hope its of use to some!

Install the latest nVidia drivers (not critical but is always a good start)

nVidia Settings
  • Open the nVidia settings window (right click desktop>nvidia display>monitor)
  • Enable Clone mode with your monitor as the primary display, TV as secondary (nView Display settings>nView Display Mode>Clone)
  • Set the resolution for the TV to 640x480 (in nView Display Settings right click on the TV icon, which should be labeled 1b, and click change resolution)
  • If the slider wont allow you to choose 640x480 untick "Show only physical panning resolutions" and click apply
  • After setting the TV resolution click on Full Screen Video in the main nVidia settings window
  • Make sure Full screen device has Secondary display in the drop down menu

Disable auto-panning
  • Drag the nVidia settings window to the top left of your screen
  • If you can, turn on your TV and make sure it's showing the top left upper most corner of your desktop
  • In nView Display Settings>nView Display Settings, click Disable auto-panning on secondary device (viewport lock)
This will prevent Mediaplayer from going off center thanks to auto-panning and any mouse movements etc.

Set Mediaportal to run in 640x480
  • Assuming you installed Mediaportal in the default location, open up:
    C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal
  • Locate and right click on MediaPortal.exe and select Properties>Compatibility>tick Run in 640x480 screen resolution
  • Click OK
This will make Mediaportal full screen when the TV-Out resolution is also 640x480.

Mediaportal Settings
  • Run the Setup MediaPortal shortcut on your desktop/start menu
  • Click General
  • Make sure the following are ticked:
  • Start MediaPortal in fullscreen mode. Depending on your whether or not you experience excessive resolution changes when begining a video you might want to try with this unticked.
  • MediaPortal always on top
  • Use Exclusive DirectX Mode for fullscreen tv/video. This is a must, it allows you to flip between the menu and your video on your TV.
  • Allow MediaPortal (and other apps) to gain focus (per-user setting - needs reboot!)
Now you can run MediaPortal and it should be perfectly fullscreened on your TV out. The only other tweaking is to load up MediaPortal and go Settings>Screen Calib. and set the UI and screen calibrations to match your TV.

Then you're all done :D (Hopefully)

Hope this helps people :D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    It's possible that by using MP in a windowed mode you will get tearing (as the exclusive mode does work only in the full screen mode.) Also 640x480 resolution is not optimal for the PAL / NTSC television.

subz

October 18, 2006
    Home Country
    I havent experienced any image tearing as of yet.

The only reason for using 640x480 is that it's either that resolution or my monitors resolution (2048x1024). Is there any other way of setting the resolution that MP runs at besides my desktop resolution or forcing it to run in 640x480 through compatibility?

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    You can clone the windowed MP with Forceware 84.21 driver without disable auto-panning because that driver can handle the MP as a video and put it to secondary display very well.
    I am use MP in secodary display and the CPU load <5% if MP on the main screen.

jlo

October 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Do you mean you can use the overlay full-screen function for the Mediaportal interface? How do you set that up?

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Here are my settings:

Driver is 84.21. Primary screen is LCD with 1280*1024, secondary is the TV with 720*576. It is cloned mode. The full screen device is the secondary display.
    MP is running on primary monitor and it is cloned to TV. It works fine.

(I have tried it with 9x drivers but that only cloned a part of the primary screen as a 720*576 window and I dont want setup it as subz adviced)

So my settings same as subz guide except the resolution and if you use 84.21 you can skip this part of guide:

"Disable auto-panning
    Drag the nVidia settings window to the top left of your screen
    If you can, turn on your TV and make sure it's showing the top left upper most corner of your desktop
    In nView Display Settings>nView Display Settings, click Disable auto-panning on secondary device (viewport lock)
    This will prevent Mediaplayer from going off center thanks to auto-panning and any mouse movements etc."

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    jackelectronics:

Your guide is good. Thanks!

FLY

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2006
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Jacke,

I saw your script about "switching to a native TV resolution for MediaPortal and then back to your Windows desktop resolution afterwards".

So how do I run it automatically when MP starts ?

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    My scripts are based on AutoIT so if you google for AutoIt, download and install it. Also, modify the MediaPortal shortcut to start from the script instead of the actual mediaportal.exe. The script changes the resolution and then starts MP. Upon MP exit, the resolution is reverted back. Jacke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom