Completed My Home Cinema setup (1 Viewer)

vur

Portal Pro
January 18, 2008
Home Country
Hi vur,

the 8600 in combination with a MPEG2 or H.264 Codec that >uses< the hardware acceleration of the gpu does make a huge difference. The CPU has a lot of less to do. I uses the PowerDVD 7.3 Codec wich is known to uses the hardware acceleration of the nvidia gpu for both MPEG2 and H.264.

You can watch live-TV with thoses Codes by configure the Media-Portal Client. Simply select the codec.

Regarding the old 8800, it is joke from nvidia that there flag ship does not have any support H.264 decoding.

regards,

Sörnt

Hi poppe --- thanks for confirming that Purevideo works with live-TV. Would you say that the Purevideo picture improvements illustrated in that comparison link (de-interlace, noise reduction, detail enhancement etc etc) are apparent on live-TV too? It sounds almost too good to be true. I'm outputing via a projector to a 3metre screen which magnifies nasties.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    yeh i have the asus 8600gt (silent) and it gives me 50 fps where the normal is 25 fps(PAL HDTV) using the cyberlink powerdvd 7.3 codecs with hardware acceleration switched on in both the powerdvd app and in MP for MPEG2

for h264 (or x264) to get hardware acceleration to work and u to actually see a picture...the video file(or stream) itself must comply with AVC 4.1 ..a standard that blu-ray conforms to....if ur file/stream complies then the nvidia purevideo VP2 processor takes 100% of the processing of the video content....if ur file/stream does not..then u get a black screen/blockiness or otherwise unwatchable video

u can turn off the hardware acelleration and it becomes watchable again, but u may get interlacing

the reason why some x264s are not compliant is due to the fact that ppl will in the end want high picture quality..and high compression..both of which takes the file/stream out of the AVC 4.1 standard

u can test files u have by using the powerdvd cyberlink codecs 7.3 in MEDIAPORTAL with hardware acceleration on and look at the result...i myself have about 20 or so and only 1 of them works(which happens to be a recording off TV BBC UK) its 7.3 gig for 1 hour 1080p x264 with ac3 2-channel audio ...quite a big file

poppe

Portal Member
    October 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi seb87,

I added two more Pictures.
    I got today another HD - 1TB Western Digital - WD10EACS

Poppe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom