Completed My HTPC project, parts and config (2 Viewers)

Neptuni

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 17, 2007
    Linkoping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Petsa,

Are you using LCDSmartie as it is, and how are info getting from MP to LCDSmartie?
    What are you displaying on the VFD?

PS I'm using a surround amplifier Marantz SR-5500, connected with analog 5.1 from my Auzentech soundcard, the amp is controlled via a serial connection (RS232) from IR-Server Suite and MP.

/Mikael

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    As it is, no info from MP in VFD. I display CPU load, uptime, date/timestamp, up/downloads, etc

Baltic Johan

January 15, 2008
    Nynäshamn
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Petsa & Lotsfojazz,

Thanks for your comments - it both increased my dilemma, and solved it. Which is god, and bad...

It´s bad because one of the really god things about new projects is the investigation part when all details needs to be looked into, every stoned turned - and so on. It´s pleasant and painful!

It´s good for now I can move into implementation! Which I can enjoy for quite a while if I work slowly enough.

Just to clarify, I don´t have any equipment at all to day - except for my very old Grundig TV and a low budget combo Samsung DVD/VHS player - so I´m free to use my budget as I please!

Petsa put the finger on a very important aspect - time. And since (even though I would love to spend hrs making out with a HTPC project) there are some other issues to take care of like; wife, house, children, work...:( , following will happen.

Petsas comment made me take the decision to:

- buy a new Marantz SR7002 receiver
    - buy a new BenQ W9000
    - buy a new, decent DVD player (and wait for a while to see if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD wins the standardisation battle)
    - buy a good surround system

This decision will give me the better of two worlds. I can get into implementation phase now - today! And I still have a HTPC project to look forward to! I can already now play with a server solution and my network - the step to HTPC can be made gradually but will probably speed up when it starts to get dark in Sweden next time (November 2008). I will for sure have lots of use of Lotsofjazz comments and will come back to the Forum when it´s time for technical details :)

So - again - thanks guys for your input. It solved my dilemma at the same time as I still have a project to look forward to.

/Johan

Haha! I thought you allready had a Marantz!.. But OK, buying one is still a very good idea then going for some cheaper surround system, it really is worth the money.

With surround system you mean the speakers I suppose. Well, that is very personal.. Since you are spending a lot of money I would certainly take the time and money to buy some good speakers..listen to them first.. A good audio shop will let you try out the speakers AT HOME with your system, before decide to buy them. Make sure the front center and back speakers are of the same brand, so the sound color is the same (not one speaker sounds the same, you need all speakers have about the same sound color, otherwise the surroundsound effect could be negatively affected) And dont forget to add a good active subwoofer to that, that fits your room (Bigger is not allways better in this case.. too big and you get the speaker only mumbling a little, to small and it must work too hard.. it must just fit your room, so the speaker feels happy and produces the sub audio you need)

As Darre said, if I would be buying a HTPC system now (and mine is just 6 months old!!), I would buy a BlueRay disk player/burner for inside the HTPC.. you allways can play normal DVD's and burn normal DVD's with them as well. For stand alone, I am not so sure, Blue ray stand alone players are quite expensive, and with the Blue ray inside the HTPC, you can play HD via the PC if you have a HDMI output (720P, 1080i or 1080P).. You only need the stand alone player to play DVD's with the best quality beause the HTPC can not put out 576P signal (well at least mine cannot, dont know for sure if there are video cards that can put out really 576P, because that is a signal that goes over component cable(YuV) only).. So it is still a good idea to buy a stand alone DVD player, and they are not so expensive anyway. Just look for a DVD player with a component video output, to get 576P. and Optical SPDIF digital audio out, to connect it with your marantz. Pioneer makes very good DVD players, and are not expensive.

Oh, and about time...

I do not agree with Petsa.. If you have all components, it is just two to thee evenings of putting it all together and at least working.. the investigation before takes much more time!, but allso, with this investigating you learn the same time exactly how all must be put together so at the time you have all components you know exactly what to do, and where which cable goes, so you are ready before you know it... my personal experience.

But OK, after that initial building you will start tweaking, try different codecs, try to find the best software and plug ins... It was after 4 months I heard about MediaPortal.. in a way.. you will keep on tweaking all the time, try out new things etc.

I wish you lots of success with your investigation and have fun with buying and putting it together..BEWARE, you will be overwhelmed with the new experience of HD television and Big Surround Sound! compared to the old stuff you have right now!

Lots

Hello,

Yes - I'll have to buy everything now, so I´ll start with the Marantz, then go for the speakers - I´ve been looking at InoAudio (swedish brand) - lot´s of value for the money!

I still debate with my self if I will buy the PS3 or Xbox right now.
    It really doesn´t matter who´s winning - they are both good game consoles, and - what I´ve heard - good as players for HT purposes.

As we write - prices on 1080p projectors are falling... and a 720p projector is bargain right now. I think I´ll go for a Epson 720p projector (long guarantee, 3 yrs) and simple installation. I don´t think it´s worth 15 KSEK (1,5 KEuro) extra for the 1080p model). This will give me more money for speakers and other funny stuff:) :)

And - I still have the HTPC project to look forward to:D

Johan

Blu-Ray is winning.. Even tho Toshiba is cutting the prizes in half they can't compete with getting ps3 and blu-ray in one package. HD-DVD only got one major movie studio left backing them, so its just a matter of time. I was cheering for HD-DVD for a long time, but its over now.

Oh and good luck with the HTPC/mulitmedia setup!

Hi Darre,

Thank´s.

I´m still in the evaluation process - but it´s getting closer to purchasing time!! I know this a HTPC forum and my comments are more general HT onces - but my aim is to start the HTPC project sooner or later - but first a good sound system (reciever and speakers), and - possibly the PS3. (but my children votes for Xbox, more and better games the claim :confused: / :).

And I get a lot of good input from this forum...

Johan

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I would not go for a 720P Beamer, you will regret that later.. there is a reason why they are at a bargain :)

if so you better spend the money on a decent 42"or bigger full HD Plasma or LCD/ Contrast is still an issue with those beamers, and when projected on Big screen like 2x 1.5 metres, the 720p resolution is not really sharp and requires to sit at a distance of 5 metres or more to see a good sharp image. A friend of mne has bought a 42" panasonic Plasma (best tested or best buy in a consumer magazine here) for less then 1000 Euro's, for 1500 euro's you can buy a 47"or even bigger one.

Lots

Baltic Johan

January 15, 2008
    Nynäshamn
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yeah - still confused, but on a higher level:D .

I haven´t actually seen a 720p beamer in action yet - I´ll do that before I buy anything - and my wiew distance is about 3,5 to 4 meters... maybe 4,5 if we try hard.

I´ll go and do some shop research and come back with my findings.

Johan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom