Completed My htpc silverstone LC16-M (1 Viewer)

pappabear72

July 3, 2007
Groningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
HTPC Silverstone Imon building (for dummies like me!)
:D :D :D :D
1. Hardware
2. Software
3. Configuration
4. Finally

1.0 Hardware

This HTPC is build with:

Power: Xilencer 350 w 12cm bigfan
Case: Silverstone LC16 M silver + remote pad
Mainboard: MSI PM8M-V S478 mATX (LAN, VGA, Sound)
Processor: Intel p4 3.0gh HT S478
Cooling: Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu LED with fancontrol
Video: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9550 256MB AGP
Harddisk: Seagate 160 GB 2mb cache 7200 rpm IDE
DVD-RW: Pioneer dvd+-rw 8x
Wlan: Linksys 54g
Tv-tuner: Haupage 150 mce
Input: Trust DS-3250 Wireless Opt. MultiM DS

The Zalman cooler is running at 1300 rpm with a core-temp of 40 degrees Celcius.
The case fans of the Silverstone are not running.
To connect the many features of the LC16-M, I refer to the Silverstone manual.

2.0 Software

I installed software in the following order

• Main

o Windows xp MCE 2005 + every update till now
o .net 1.1 and 2.0
o AVG anti-virus (free)
o 4 in 1 hyperion chipset drivers
o Driver installed of videocard, tvtuner, sound
o Soundgraph IMON 6.01 only IMon not IMEDIAN
o Mediaportal 0.2.2.0

• Utils
o Divx 6.5
o Power Cinema (for the tv-tuner encoder)
o Acrobat reader
o Bootskin
o Winrar
o MP skin Foofaraw 1.0.5
o MP plugin Mykeys plugin 0.1 (unpack in map c:/programfiles/team-mediaportal/mediaportal/plugins/process)
o XMLTV (unpack in map c:/programfiles/team-mediaportal/mediaportal/plugins/xmltv)

Links

.NET 1.1/2.0/3.0 : Windows update
Imon: www.soundgraph.com
Divx: www.divx.com
Power cinema: www.cyberlink.com(trial)
XMLTV: site
Skin and plugin: MP plugin site.

3.0 Configuration

This is time consuming part. I spend almost 4 weeks to get everything right. The way it has to be configured depends on your preferences. I did it in following order:

3.1 Set up remote:
source :http://cle.me.uk/
The iMon pad remote was a bit of a fiddle, but as long as you don’t think too much it’s fine. First thing I should stress is to NOT tick the 3rd party application uses driver option, the iMon software works fine, but obviously has to be running. Get the latest drivers and iMon, but you don’t need to install iMedian. Then, go into iMon manager (right click iMon icon). We need to make the application non-stupid, so first untick the IR detect sound effects option. Then make the desktop widget always hidden. I can’t remember where these options are but they are about.
So there are no conflicts, go to the windows explorer key configuration pane and set volume up, down, tab, shift tab and Application launcher remote pad keys to not set. For mediaportal go to the applications list, I removed all other applications for clarity, then add MediaPortal. Import this .imo file (thanks CHli) against Mediaportal.
Now the iMon is configured, time to configure MediaPortal.
First, to make best use of all your buttons get the MyKeys plugin, put My Keys.dll it in the MediaPortal\Plugins\Process folder. Then fire up MediaPortal Setup and go down to plugins, right click on MyKeys in the Process section and hit enable. Then go to the remote pane and untick the MCE remote in its tab, and tick the General HID remote in its tab.

3.2 Further options in MP
Now, setting up MediaPortal proper. I only wanted specific options, so I have stripped out the rest. I used only certain plugins.
Genaral options
I then set the general options to my liking. First, that mediaportal starts when windows starts and in full screen mode. I switched off always on top because later I will need to run windows sometimes.
Skin
In skin I set to foofaraw wide, and removed the “add my to the beginning of everything” option.
Mymovie, Mymusic, Mypictures etc.
I changed al folders of my own mediafolders.
TelevisionSee 3.5
RadioI added some streams

3.3 TO get the VFD running
source: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/silverstone_lascala_lc16_m_complete_guide-t8043.html
This is the simplest part. Click the "iMon VFD Control panel" icon in your taskbar. And click frontview…. You can now select between different modes. Click "plug-in".

For MediaPortal to make use of this display, go to MediaPortal Setup. Enable the "external display" plugin. Parameters should be:
Type: SoundGraph iMON USB Driver V1.0
Port: USB
Columns: 16
Rows: 2
Comm. Delay: 1

Leave all other settings at default. Your done here.

3.4 To set up windows:
I wanted the machine to act like it didn’t have windows explorer, so I followed the look and feel guide. I replaced the boot screen with this skin. Then I replaced the generic windows profile background with the same image and the mediaportal user desktop too.

3.5 Setup TV-card and XMLTV
First off all I added the tv-tuner, I used (import) a specific channel list. I also let it search for channels, but this don’t works as fine. Channel names were a bit of a problem.
Tvguide:
The grabber has to be put in the map of MP/XMLTV. In the setup Mp will default refer to that map. Go to the second pane choose a guide of your country and run the grabber. It will ask you which channels it has to grab, choose the ones you want. This will take a while.

4.0 Finally:
Reboot! And enjoy

Thanks everyone for tips and tricks:D

mr_minning

Portal Member
October 30, 2004
Gothenburg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Nice!
I really like the case too. Did you get the buttons on the case to interact with MP?

I got another iMon remote. However I don't use My Keys. I'll guess I'll have to check it out.

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Sounds great....its always nice to see more people using MediaPortal...

Cheers
    GeoV

Anthrax

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2007
    pretty much in the center
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello together,

a big thanks for that Dummy-Guide (though i haven't seen any around ;) ).
    Exactly what I was looking for!

I also want to purchase this beautiful piece of equipment in the near future, and i will most definetly come back here and read this post over again when i FINALLY have it.

Bye,
    Anthrax

PS: Some people seem to got the buttons on the case working with Girder. But shouldn't they behave just like other HID-inputs??? Ever had a look in the remote->hid section in the MP config?

robkop

July 6, 2007
    Pappabear, thanks for this excellent guide. I set up my HTPC over the last few days largely relying on your guide and it now works like a charm!

Regards,
    Rob

pappabear72

July 3, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    TV card

hello,

It has been a while, but i replaced my tv-card with a haupage 150 mce!! I have to admit it works like a sharm. Th installation does't change.

Does anyone has expericed any problems with the remote pad of Silverstone? Because I think it is reacting a bit slow.

H:D

rmeredit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    I use the Silverstone LC16-M as well. A beautiful case, but I've found the buttons on the front to be irrelevant. I use the supplied iMon remote from across the room, and that has all of the functionality (plus more) of the front buttons. The only time I touch my case is to insert a DVD/CD or plug in a USB device.

In response to the question about the response speed of the remote, I haven't noticed any problems. It's as responsive as a remote for any other device I have. Assuming your batteries are fresh, it could be anything (software / USB issues, etc.). Once iMon is configured for MediaPortal, and the VFD set up as described above, it hums along nicely.

dyamant

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2007
    Castrop-Rauxel
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have get my new LC-16MR now.
    Alll work very well, only my VFD Display under MediaPortal not.
    I have select all i need in MediaPortal for the VFD Display but nothing happens.
    Maybe there is a new VFD in this case?
    Have anyone information about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom