Completed My Mystic HTPC (1 Viewer)

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    if you use the dual-view I can send you the IR-Commands used by the 'MCE Replacement Plugin'

GeoV - are you still willing to share this? Can you please send it to me for inclusion in the wiki?

Or even better - it will be great if you are willing to help me compile a few pages for South Africa. You are by far the SA member with the most posts here and your experience can only help others.

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    Hi Rekenaar

I think its a great idea to share information, as far as the IR-Commands I will have to see if mine still have it because my TV-card packed up a few months ago and have not replaced it yet. I'm still on the hunt for a more advanced TV-Card, and will probibly import one as soon as I've found one that would work here in South-Africa.
    I will have a look at your Wiki-Info and see if I can add anything usefull, do you have anything in mind?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    You will see that I have started a simple index. That is the stuff that I can currently think of.

Thank you.

geeps

Portal Member
    February 14, 2007
    Johannesburg
    Home Country
    Hello,

Good to see the number of active South Africans slowly growing.

As I note I have a found a simple way around Multichoice's shutdown of the 2 EPG sites, I am not sure how long it will work for though, if you are using xmltv.

geov, are you looking for another Hauppage?

Geeps

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    Hi All

OK I've got a new toy; its called the "Creative SB Audigy 4 Pro", which I'm hoping will sorts out my Surround-Sound properly. I'm still playing with it, but wow what a difference on just MP3's, which now play in full surround without me having had to change anything in MediaPortal. This also got rid of an irritating buzz when the volume was very high, so now even classical sounds great when it’s loud...
    One challenge I’m hoping to resolve it to al last listen to TV that broadcasts in surround, up until now the best I could get was stereo. I’m a bit concerned about how to connect it up without getting a lag between the picture and the sound…but that’s a problem for a different day.

Features:::…

Here are the features as listed on the Creative website.

Audigy 4 Pro Processor

Advanced hardware accelerated digital effects processing
    32-bit digital processing, which maintains a theoretical 192 dB of dynamic range
    Patented 8-point interpolation that reduces distortion to inaudible levels
    64-voice hardware Wavetable synthesizer
    Professional quality digital mixing and equalization
    High Definition Audio Quality for Playback and Recording

Playback of 64 audio channels, each at an arbitrary sample rate
    24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion of analog inputs at 96 kHz sample rate
    24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of digital sources at 96 kHz to analog 7.1 speaker output
    24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of stereo digital sources at 192 kHz to stereo output
    16-bit to 24-bit recording sampling rates: 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz.
    Supports Sony/Philips Digital Interface (SPDIF) format of up to 24-bit/96 kHz quality. Selectable sampling rate of 44.1, 48 or 96 kHz
    Low latency multitrack recording with ASIO 2.0 support at 16-bit, 48 kHz and 24-bit, 96 kHz resolution.
    *(Latency performance may vary based on system configuration)

FireWire® (IEEE® 1394) Connectivity

Compliant with IEEE 1394a specification
    Supports data rates of 100, 200, and 400 Mbps
    Supports up to 63 FireWire (IEEE 1394) compatible devices in a daisy-chain configuration
    Supplies up to 3 Watts to FireWire (IEEE 1394) compatible devices
    Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro On-Board Connectors

Line level out (Front / Side / Rear / Center / Subwoofer)
    Digital CD Audio in
    Aux Audio in
    AD Link 1 and AD Link 2 connectors to connect with external I/O hub.
    Power connector

Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro External I/O Hub Front / Rear Panel Connectors

Headphone Out (1/4" Stereo Jack)
    Line In 1 (1/4" Stereo Jack , shared with Mic In with Gain Control)
    Line In 2 (1/4" Stereo Jack)
    Line In 3 (2x RCA Jack)
    Optical SPDIF In/Out
    Coaxial SPDIF In/Out
    Digital Out for 5.1 support (6-channel SPDIF Output to Creative digital speakers)
    2x FireWire® (IEEE® 1394) ports
    MIDI In / Out
    Infra-red Receiver to communicate with Remote Control
    AD Link 1 and AD Link 2 connectors to connect with Audigy 4 Pro
    Audio Performance:

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (AES17, A-Weighted)

Output Voltage @ 2Vrms
    Stereo Output 113dB
    Front and Rear Channels 113dB
    Center, Subwoofer and Side Channels 113dB

Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise at 1kHz (AES17) = 0.003% (2V Rated Output) Frequency Response +/-3dB: 10Hz to 46kHz

Works with the Following Standards:

Windows® XP and 2K
    Sound Blaster MIDI and General MIDI
    Plug and Play
    Sound Blaster PCI
    EAX, EAX ADVANCED HD
    Microsoft® DirectSound® , DirectSound 3D & derivatives
    OpenAL™
    PCI 2.3 compliant
    AC '97
    Dolby Digital
    Dolby Digital EX
    DTS Digital Surround®
    DTS-ES Surround™
    Meridian Lossless Packing
    ASIO 2.0
    Sound Font 2.1
    DVD-Audio
    Windows Media® Audio 9

kabaheesi

March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    hello,

I was wondering how you have conected your decoder to the htpc. I am using a single view decoder from DSTV. (am from Uganda by the way)
    I need your advice on what TV card o use to get DSTV into the HTPC. Also, is it possible to control DSTV with a third party remote like the Microsoft MCE remote? thanks

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    Welcome, its always nice seeing a fellow African joining the Forum.

Firstly, what you need is an analogue TV-Card with a Hardware Mpeg2 decoder. The "Hauppauge PVR150" is very popular and well supported by MediaPortal. There are a number of newer and better TV-cards, but they usually have more challenges to get them working. Also if you are planning on using the Hauppauge card with a big-screen TV, I would recommend you also buy a good graphics-card that will improve the image quality.

Secondly, you would have to buy a remote-control (like the Microsoft MCE Remote) that has remote-blasters that can change the channels on the DSTV-decoder for you. To make the remote blasters work, you will have to install the "MCE Replacement Plugin" or the "IR Server Suite" and teach it your DSTV-Remote commands.

Thirdly, you will have to import an "Electronic Program Guide" using an XMLTV-file. If you have the same channels and schedules as we do in South Africa, then you can download the XMLTV-Guide from the following web-site, XMLTV - DSTV Virgingirl’s Weblog , otherwise you will have to see if you cant find one for Uganda somewhere on the internet.

Hope this helps....

kabaheesi

March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi Geov

Thanks a lot for your advice. Well, below is the text for my profile which I am hoping to post by the end of the week.

A little background
    Perhaps a little info about myself will go a long way in shedding some light on where am coming from.

Well, I am a freelance web developer based in Kampala the capital of Uganda. For those who have never heard about Uganda, it’s a small East African nation of about 30 million. Though little known to the outside world, Uganda is a tourist paradise, endowed with beautiful natural vegetation, abundant wildlife including the endangered mountain gorillas and shoe-billed stock. Most of all Uganda is a country rich in cultural heritage.

Most people will remember the 70’s when Uganda was known for the notorious dictator Idi Amin. More recently, Uganda was a country at the verge of being wiped out by the HIV/ADIS endemic. All that is in the past and Uganda is once again on the path to prosperity.

Living in a developing nation like Uganda is quite a challenge.
    Am not saying that there is a shortage of opportunities, but to make it financially, one needs to overcome several hurdles including corruption, nepotism, extended families and to some degree political prejudice.

As a web developer living and working in Kampala, resources are quite limited.

My current set up

My current entertainment system has served several years and is due for an overhaul. Despite the lo-tech set up, the system has served its master to the best of its limited ability.

Visuals
    At the moment, my visuals are coming out of a 21” Sony CRT TV with a flat screen.
    Basically, the main sources of content are a simple Sony DVD player and a digital satellite receiver.

Sounds
    I have a huge MP3 collection backed up on CD-Rs. Some of my music dates back to the days of Napster. Over time, CD-Rs develop scratches and some other physical damage to the surface. I guess I have lost at least 50% of my music collection over the last couple of years. A large percentage of my music collection is saved on my 30GB Ipod video. Before I upgraded from the stock Ipod ear buds, I didn’t enjoy listening to the Ipod that much. After upgrading to Sennheiser CX300s, my listening experience has improved dramatically.

When am not on the road, I have the Ipod docked to the Aiwa shelf system. The Ipod dock came with a credit-card size remote which makes it convenient to use the Ipod at home.

The Aiwa shelf system has only 2 AUX inputs which are shared by the satellite box, Ipod dock and DVD player. It’s quite inconveniencing fumbling to the back of the system to change cables. Despite the inconveniences, the sound from the Aiwa is fairly decent. I have had this system for over 6 years.

Remote controls
    I have a Sony RM-AV3000 which controls the TV, DVD player and Aiwa system.
    The credit card size remote controls the Ipod (when docked)
    I have a third remote for the satellite box. I am unable to program the satellite and Ipod remotes into the Sony. I hope some day I will be able to replace all the remotes by the Sony.

My dream set up

I have a 6 year old Compaq PC with a 1.7GHz processor, a paltry 256MB of RAM, 40GB hard drive running windows XP with service pack 2. Obviously these specs are too low to run Media Portal. I have tried to run media portal on the Compaq with disastrous results.

Since there is no possibility of upgrading the processor and main board, am keeping my expectations at a minimum

My plan is to upgrade the current PC with the following components:

- A proper HTPC case
    - Upgrade the RAM to 1 GB
    - A 250 GB hard drive to hold my huge MP3 collection and DIVX movies. The 40GB drive will be reserved for the operating system and other software applications.
    - A new optical drive
    - SPDIF/digital soundcard
    - High end video card
    - Remote controller (Am looking at two possibilities; the Logitech Wireless DJ and Imon remote)
    - A TV card that can accept the signal from my satellite provider (Multi-choice DSTV)

Visuals
    I have my eyes set on a 42” plasma/LCD TV. I have no particular brand in mind. However, I have some basic minimum specs for the TV i.e 1080P signal compatibility, 10,000:1 contrast ratio, at least 2 HDMI ports, pixel shifting technology in case of a plasma display to cater for screen burn-in, and a wall mount bracket.

Sound
    I am expecting a JBL sound system and Pioneer receiver. I bought these items second-hand on eBay in December of 2007. Unfortunately, I couldn’t afford air shipping so am waiting for the container to arrive in Kampala any moment. The 5.1 JBL sound system is rated at 100w per channel plus a 150W powered sub woofer. Am sure the sound from this system will impress.

Other accessories/hardware
    The Stormak TV unit from IKEA looks great. I love the silver colour scheme. It will complement my new set up.

Conclusion
    I am hoping to develop a decent home entertainment system on a budget. Should resources allow in the near future, I will definitely go all out and develop a more advanced rig. For now, am making do with the resources at hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom