"My Pictures" auto Resize/Zoom - absent Zoom (1 Viewer)

foxpup

July 21, 2006
Nebraska
It seems like such a conspicuous absence to me but the My Pictures does not zoom in on smaller graphics images so that at least one of the dimensions of the image spans the screen width/height.

For instance if your screen is set at 1024x768, a 512x200 images should be expanded to 1024x400. A 500x500 image should be expanded to 768x768.

Larger images are resized downward nicely to fit the screen. Its just that smaller ones are not expanded. It would be simply grand if such a zoom feature was available to turn on.

If anyone decides to code in this feature, please keep in mind that some expansion algorithms are more crude than others. Some create heavy pixilation whiles others create a more smooth image. Obviously one cannot create image info out of oblivion but just getting the image bigger is very nice. I run MediaPortal on a PC hooked up to a projector in the basement and I want to use the entire screen when looking at images, just like I do with video.

Keep up your most excellent work. I'll pray for you.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    foxpup
    Hi, and welcome to MP.

Picture will only go to there own resolution, or be shrunk down to your screen res, this was done, because they look horribly pixelated once you start to enlarge, so it was decided to not add zooming under those circumstances.

You could take this to extreme where you may have a 16x16 icon in your picture folder, stretching that to 1024x768, result really bad.

Cheers

foxpup

July 21, 2006
    Nebraska
    Paranoid Delusion, Thanx for the reply.

I do understand how a 16x16 icon would look ugly zoomed up to full screen, but I still think that zooming up would be a good feature. There are users out there including myself with 1920x1200 screens with dpi well above the old standard 72dpi. My laptop has a native dpi of 147dpi. Even 1024*768 images seem small there and tired eyes could benefit from using all the screen real estate.

If you are worried about the ugliness of blowing up a 16x16 icon, consider adding a resolution threshold control such as "maximum zoom ratio" instead of a checkbox turning zoom on and off. That way the user could set it to something reasonable like 2 or 3 and have 1024x768 images blown up to full screen on larger displays but still only show the 16x16 icons at 48x48 which wouldn't be quite so ugly. The setting could be set at 1 as it is now or set to infinity in case you want to see the ugliness of a 16x16 icon at full screen.

Anyway I've spoken my peace. I really do appreciate your effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom