My Power Control Plug-in (1 Viewer)

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've completely re-written PowerControl it now allows you to control devices from any PC running MediaPortal. A system service is used at any MediaPortal PC that has devices physically connected to the parallel port.

MyPowerControl turns pins on and off on your parallel port (or on a parallel print server); combined with a simple circuit this can be used to turn AC devices on or off. I use it turn on my subwoofer since it can't be operated by remote. For this plug-in to work with an onboard parallel port you will need inpout32.dll in your windows system32 directory. For use with a print server inpout32.dll is not required. Plenty of info can be found on how to build this very simple circuit.

I don't distribute inpout32.dll with the plug-in install in case of licence issues, it can easily be downloaded.

For more info on using a network printer server see my blog article.

My Power Control allows you to control devices from any PC running MediaPortal. A systemservice is used at any MediaPortal PC that has devices physically connected to the parallel port/printserver

See the help/about section in the plug-in configuration. I used a .msi installer since .MPI doesn't support some features required for [un]installing services.

Download the latest version from the plug-ins/utilities download section.
    MEDIAPORTAL - free media center - My Power Control

Source in the plug-ins SVN
    http://mp-plugins.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mp-plugins/trunk/plugins/MyPowerControl/

Version History
    ===================

---------
    - Added support for parallel network print serves
    - Added new optional system tray tool "PowerTray" which to allows management of devices from PCs on the network that don't run MediaPortal. (This is a separate .msi installer file and is optional and should not be installed on the same computer as MyPowerControl)
    -Numerous bug fixes and polish-ups
    ---------

---------
    Complete re-write of PowerControl. Now supports remotely controlling any device connected to a MediaPortal PC from any MediaPortal PC.
    ---------

Cheers,
    mcraenz

Attachments

• Config.png
      Config.png
      28.9 KB
    • Main.png
      Main.png
      84.5 KB

jblomb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 17, 2007
    Sundsvall
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hehe, Thanks!

I just downloaded and installed the plugin this morning. Hadn't even tested it yet, but now i will get the new version and try it out.

I am planning to use it to control the aspect ratio of my old 16/9 CRT TV. I will map a pin to switch between +5v and +12v with some external circuitry.

Hope it works..

Edit: OMG! Too funny!! I prepared everything for a test, and plugged everything in where it was supposed to be. Well... not everything. When i wanted to plug the connector to the LPT port.. I didn't have one!!

I just had to laugh.. Too stupid. :p

3dcoder

Portal Member
    April 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi!

Great work on this new release, it works flawlesly and the remote feature brings Do-It-yourself home automation to a new level! The configuration part is also better and easier to use.

I just noticed that I can't change the name of the plugin which visible in the main menu. If I set new name in finnish, it still appears as "My power control" in the menu. Could this be fixed with a new line in language file or such?

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Glad it's working ok. Wish I could get some kind of gage of how many people are actively using it.

Edit: OMG! Too funny!! I prepared everything for a test, and plugged everything in where it was supposed to be. Well... not everything. When i wanted to plug the connector to the LPT port.. I didn't have one!!
    Hahaha bummer ;-), Yeah I guess they are becoming less and less common. If someone can point out some kind of common USB/PIC Chip arrangement then I'd be happy to have a crack at that.

I just noticed that I can't change the name of the plugin which visible in the main menu.
    :eek: oops. I'll fix that soon I'll just wait to see if there are any other bugs. You can change the Heading with-in the plug-in by changing the skin but not how it appears on the menu.

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2005
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nice plugin, I don't have a use for it at the moment but I always liked these kind of things.
    Please let the programmer of the mpi system now the limitations to install unistall so that it can maybe integrated in a next version.

anandus

Portal Member
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This looks interesting.

Can somebody point me to a tutorial (or picture) of one of these simple circuits? :)

skare

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 10, 2004
    Vejle
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hehe, Thanks!

I just had to laugh.. Too stupid. :p

Haha...been there, done that:p

Might just add that this could be a solution, though I have not tried it out myself

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can somebody point me to a tutorial (or picture) of one of these simple circuits?
    http://computerchristmas.com/christmas/link-how_to/HowToId-2/A_simple_8_circuit_parallel_box
    Specifically there is a link on the first page to the schematic.

Might just add that this could be a solution, though I have not tried it out myself
    This adaptor is for a serial port not a parallel (Printer) port. This:
    http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-LPT25&cats=101&catid=596,597,101
    Is what you'd want but again I've not tested. Jblomb maybe you could give it a go ;-)

Kickin

Portal Member
    September 15, 2007
    My Power Control

hello, Nice plugin

Just what I was looking for to complete my HTPC.

Discovered some strange thing, After I had used this plugin (havent used the output of the LPT yet)
    I went to basichome screen and there all name changed to the first name that was added to control the output of this plugin. --> radio changed to sub, then TV changed to sub. Sub was my first test output.

I am running 0.2.3.0_RC3 with svn--10-19-2007--19-26-Rev 16290 this version is stable for me.

Keep up the god work.

Regards Kickin

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey Kickin, Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into that and see if I can reproduce.

Cheers,
    mcraenz

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom