My Power Control Plug-in

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Plugins' started by mcraenz, January 11, 2008.

1. mcraenz
    • Premium Supporter

mcraenz MP Donator

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    I've completely re-written PowerControl it now allows you to control devices from any PC running MediaPortal. A system service is used at any MediaPortal PC that has devices physically connected to the parallel port.

MyPowerControl turns pins on and off on your parallel port (or on a parallel print server); combined with a simple circuit this can be used to turn AC devices on or off. I use it turn on my subwoofer since it can't be operated by remote. For this plug-in to work with an onboard parallel port you will need inpout32.dll in your windows system32 directory. For use with a print server inpout32.dll is not required. Plenty of info can be found on how to build this very simple circuit.

I don't distribute inpout32.dll with the plug-in install in case of licence issues, it can easily be downloaded.

For more info on using a network printer server see my blog article.

My Power Control allows you to control devices from any PC running MediaPortal. A systemservice is used at any MediaPortal PC that has devices physically connected to the parallel port/printserver

See the help/about section in the plug-in configuration. I used a .msi installer since .MPI doesn't support some features required for [un]installing services.

Download the latest version from the plug-ins/utilities download section.
    MEDIAPORTAL - free media center - My Power Control

Source in the plug-ins SVN
    http://mp-plugins.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mp-plugins/trunk/plugins/MyPowerControl/

Version History
    ===================

---------
    - Added support for parallel network print serves
    - Added new optional system tray tool "PowerTray" which to allows management of devices from PCs on the network that don't run MediaPortal. (This is a separate .msi installer file and is optional and should not be installed on the same computer as MyPowerControl)
    -Numerous bug fixes and polish-ups
    ---------

---------
    Complete re-write of PowerControl. Now supports remotely controlling any device connected to a MediaPortal PC from any MediaPortal PC.
    ---------

Cheers,
    mcraenz

Attached Files:

• Config.png
      Config.png
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Uploaded:
      January 11, 2008
      Views:
    • Main.png
      Main.png
      File size:
      84.5 KB
      Uploaded:
      January 11, 2008
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jblomb
    • Team MediaPortal

jblomb Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Hehe, Thanks!

I just downloaded and installed the plugin this morning. Hadn't even tested it yet, but now i will get the new version and try it out.

I am planning to use it to control the aspect ratio of my old 16/9 CRT TV. I will map a pin to switch between +5v and +12v with some external circuitry.

Hope it works..

Edit: OMG! Too funny!! I prepared everything for a test, and plugged everything in where it was supposed to be. Well... not everything. When i wanted to plug the connector to the LPT port.. I didn't have one!!

I just had to laugh.. Too stupid. :p

4. 3dcoder

3dcoder Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    Hi!

Great work on this new release, it works flawlesly and the remote feature brings Do-It-yourself home automation to a new level! The configuration part is also better and easier to use.

I just noticed that I can't change the name of the plugin which visible in the main menu. If I set new name in finnish, it still appears as "My power control" in the menu. Could this be fixed with a new line in language file or such?

5. mcraenz
    • Premium Supporter

mcraenz MP Donator

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    Glad it's working ok. Wish I could get some kind of gage of how many people are actively using it.

Hahaha bummer ;-), Yeah I guess they are becoming less and less common. If someone can point out some kind of common USB/PIC Chip arrangement then I'd be happy to have a crack at that.

:eek: oops. I'll fix that soon I'll just wait to see if there are any other bugs. You can change the Heading with-in the plug-in by changing the skin but not how it appears on the menu.

6. wortelsoft

wortelsoft Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nice plugin, I don't have a use for it at the moment but I always liked these kind of things.
    Please let the programmer of the mpi system now the limitations to install unistall so that it can maybe integrated in a next version.

7. anandus

anandus Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This looks interesting.

Can somebody point me to a tutorial (or picture) of one of these simple circuits? :)

8. skare
    • Premium Supporter

skare MP Donator

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Denmark Denmark
    Haha...been there, done that:p

Might just add that this could be a solution, though I have not tried it out myself

9. mcraenz
    • Premium Supporter

mcraenz MP Donator

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    http://computerchristmas.com/christmas/link-how_to/HowToId-2/A_simple_8_circuit_parallel_box
    Specifically there is a link on the first page to the schematic.

This adaptor is for a serial port not a parallel (Printer) port. This:
    http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-LPT25&cats=101&catid=596,597,101
    Is what you'd want but again I've not tested. Jblomb maybe you could give it a go ;-)

10. Kickin

Kickin Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Power Control

hello, Nice plugin

Just what I was looking for to complete my HTPC.

Discovered some strange thing, After I had used this plugin (havent used the output of the LPT yet)
    I went to basichome screen and there all name changed to the first name that was added to control the output of this plugin. --> radio changed to sub, then TV changed to sub. Sub was my first test output.

I am running 0.2.3.0_RC3 with svn--10-19-2007--19-26-Rev 16290 this version is stable for me.

Keep up the god work.

Regards Kickin

11. mcraenz
    • Premium Supporter

mcraenz MP Donator

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    Hey Kickin, Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into that and see if I can reproduce.

Cheers,
    mcraenz

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!