My TV Crashes as soon as a channel is selected! (1 Viewer)

Scottydog

Portal Member
August 25, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi I will make this as brief as possible;
Problem: MediaPortal crashes as soon as I select a channel in My TV and has to be closed.

Status: Latest version of MediaPortal installed (1.0 RC2) as a stand alone machine but acting as a server and client. Server application is working perfectly, as I am streaming live TV to my laptop, which has the latest version of MediaPortal client running on it.
I can 'Preview' channels via TV Server Configuration tool (Under TV Channels tab) - works perfectly, which in my mind points the problem at the MediaPortal 'client'........make sense??

My machine is a AMD Quad core, ATI 3870 X2 1GB Graphics card, 2GB memory, couple of TB's hard drive capacity across 4 drives, running fully updated Vista 32bit + all drivers and BIOS are fully updated...........in short a more than ample machine to run MediaPortal. All hardware is good in device manager. I have 2 tuners in my system, a Hauppage Nova Dual DVB-T tuner and a TechnoTrends S2-3200 S2 with a CAM..........but as stated my TV Server is working ok and I can preview both encrypted and normal channels (CAM has viewing card).

So knowing that TV Server is working perfectly, why would My TV crash as soon as I select a channel!!?:mad:

Couple of things to note - I have tried various CODEC's, including the Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra V8 and it's the same problem each time, so I'm almost positive that it's not the CODEC.
I did note that Timeshifting was sometimes Idle in TV Server and I sometimes got a message that Timeshifting couldn't start, when I activated My TV in MediaPortal. Playing around with starting timeshifting in TV Server Config Tool (Strong Green bars in both signal and quality) and going back to My TV in MediaPortal resulted in no error message for Timeshifting BUT MediaPortal crashed as soon as the screen went black - I assume it was attempting to display the channel.

I'm positive someone else is having the same problem as me but I have been through the FAQ's, read the manual, checked that all my hardware is compatible and sifted through as much as the Forum threads as possible and I still cannot find a similar problem.
Incidentally MediaPortal is connecting to the TV Server 'internally' as I can see all the channels in the guide etc and I've 'logged' on to the server......obviously:eek:

Unbelievable that the machine that I have the TV server running on cannot view the channels, when clients on my network stream the TV perfectly from that machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    ATI 3870 X2

Is that the card that seems to work in crossfire\sli mode, think i read somewhere about video problem with above, is it possible to disable the sli mode, just to test.

BTW are you using 8.8 drivers and did you use a cleaner to remove the old files prior to updating, as they seem to have a nasty habit of being reintroduced, and 8.5 gave lots of issues playing video.

If none of above, can you use the mediaportal debug from your start menu to create new logs and upload using the forums advanced + feature.

Thanks

clanmackenzi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Paris, France
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Could this have anything to do with UAC, if its not disabled could you have a broken link during installation or a blockage as MP tries to talk to TV server.

If you have not disabled it, I would suggest doing so and if it still does not work try a reinstall.

Scottydog

Portal Member
    August 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the suggestions but I have uninstalled my Catalyst driver and also CCC - then performed a driver 'wipe' via a driver cleaner program.
    I then installed the latest Catalyst Control Centre (8.8) with the latest drivers for my ATI 3870 X2.

The same problem exists!
    Just can't seem to get round this issue and I'm getting very frustrated......ahhhhhhh.

Here are my logs, in the hope that someone can identify why I can't view TV.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    2008-08-28 18:49:43.951846 [ERROR][MPMain]: !!! MediaPortal needs to be run as Administrator on Vista to stop the Media Center services that occupy your TV cards/remote control !!!

There's first spotted problem.

2008-08-28 16:22:41.236880 [13]: Exception :TvLibrary.TvException: Unable to tune to channel

TVServer log full of above, that could be down to the first problem.

I could never get MP to run on a normal Vista account, always ended up doing The full admin account route.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=537806

Scottydog

Portal Member
    August 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the suggestion but I tried what you suggested and the results are 'almost' the same as before:confused:
    I'm still getting messages about Timeshifting as well!

Here is the latest log file.

Scottydog

Portal Member
    August 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi - once again thx for all the responses but nothing has worked/improved the situation.

Oops, sorry - I clicked 'post' too quickly!
    My firewall is disabled and windows defender is not active!

Incidentally I have 3 friends who are all having exactly the same problem, so this MUST be a known issue - PLEASE HELP.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    A couple of things to try, in MP config top right switch to "Expert mode"

under directshow, change "exclusive mode" under vmr9 and see if that makes a difference, also try evr if vmr9 does not work.

You have got matching TVServer\client plugin versions, they should both be from the RC2 installer.

Also have a look at https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...t-53/xp-vista-known-issues-mediaportal-36529/

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    According to errors in system event log, do you run some light version of vista with some services disabled(or maybe not even installed)?

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom