[fixed] My Videos PIN protected folders in "Title View"? (1 Viewer)

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2 Beta
    MediaPortal Skin: All
    Windows Version: 7

Hi guys,

I haven't filled in the rest of the spec details yet and I'm nervous about posting this here at all because I don't THINK this is a bug (although it could be). If it's a bug, I'm in the right place. If not it's a feature request so feel free to slap me and move or delete the post :D

Anyway, I appreciate that there is currently no ratings based parental control system in MyVideos and introducing such a feature is probably a lot of work. However, Folder based pin protection currently works quite well. Just set up a folder with the kids movies in it and a folder for everything else. Leave the kids folder unprotected and protect the "other" folder. Nice.

However, while this is fine in "Share View", in "Title View" you still see all of the details for movies in the protected folder (coverat, fanart, etc). It's only when you go to play one of these movies that you are prompted to input your pin number. Is this the intended behaviour?

Would it be possible and/ or beneficial to find a way to have Title View display ONLY content in unprotected folders until you enter a pin number (maybe from an option in the hidden menu)? I appreciate this could get tricky if you have multiple protected folders all with different pins. Short of implementing a "master pin" system I'm not sure how you'd get around this.

Anyway, thanks in advance for listening.

All the best,

Wo0zy

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    This would seem to be a bug.

Please post logs.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Really? phew! :)

I'll grab some fresh logs tonight and post them.

Thanks for reading.

All the best,

Mick.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Yes, it's strange behavior :). Dunno if this is a bug or unfinished job (more like that). And looking at the code it will not be so easy task.

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Yes, it's strange behavior :). Dunno if this is a bug or unfinished job (more like that). And looking at the code it will not be so easy task.

Hi Deda,

Thanks for looking :)

I started off thinking "this should be an easy fix/change" and the more I thought about it the more I started to think.... maybe not. But as the saying goes "you the man" :D

Will logs be of any use to you? I'm thinking not but more than happy to supply.

Again, :D for looking.

All the best,

Mick

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    No, no need for logs, it's very easy to see that :). I will try to see how this can be implemented to hide files - covers - info & fanart for files in the protected folder for database views. As My Videos is hybrid plugin (files & database views) it's not so easy to do one thing that will not affect other side.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Ok, I found the cure for this strange behavior, but this is not so user friendly in a case of more protected folders and pins. What we need for database views is, (as you wrote), master PIN and that will require extra coding for Configuration and PIN handling in MP.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Ok, resolved pin problem and patch is ready. It can be any pin if more folders and pins are exists for video folders. Years, Genre, Actors views will not ask for pins until you want to enter inside of selected group and that group contain protected movie.

But there is one problem:

I'm not sure how/when to enter that pin, upon entry on any database view (Title, Genre, Years..) or initially to hide all protected content and create Context menu (Unlock -> if there are some protected movies and Lock -> if we unlocked so we want to lock again) and that Unlock is valid until we restart or Exit Mp or do a Lock again via context menu.

Problem is annoying PIN validation question after every movie play if starting list contain protected movies.

Thus, this global database view unlock collides with shareview behavior.

Need some easy solution :) or opinion for PIN asking behaviour :)

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Please if you can try this dll (it's for 1.2.0B) and see how it goes.

You can enter any pincode from protected video folders, and PIN will be active as long as you're in Database views (Title, Genres..), also it stays on video playback ends (only if during playback we didn't leave vdb views ie. jumped to another plugin or share view).

Share view PIN behavior was not changed.

Backup original WindowPlugins.dll in MP program /Plugins/Windows folder before replace.

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Ok, resolved pin problem and patch is ready. It can be any pin if more folders and pins are exists for video folders. Years, Genre, Actors views will not ask for pins until you want to enter inside of selected group and that group contain protected movie.

But there is one problem:

I'm not sure how/when to enter that pin, upon entry on any database view (Title, Genre, Years..) or initially to hide all protected content and create Context menu (Unlock -> if there are some protected movies and Lock -> if we unlocked so we want to lock again) and that Unlock is valid until we restart or Exit Mp or do a Lock again via context menu.

Problem is annoying PIN validation question after every movie play if starting list contain protected movies.

Thus, this global database view unlock collides with shareview behavior.

Need some easy solution :) or opinion for PIN asking behaviour :)

Hi Deda,

Nice work mate :)

If you're looking for opinions my vote would be as follows.

1. When initially entering DB views, all movies NOT in a protected folder should be displayed without any PIN prompt. That will allow the Kids to access their movies as easily as possible.

2. Add an Unlock option to the context menu. If this option can be displayed only if there is protected content then great. If not I don't see it would hurt for it to be there all the time. It just won't do anything.

3. Once unlocked it should remain unlocked unless manually locked again from the context menu or you exit MP. I would also lock again when leaving Videos (if possible) and when moving to Share view (that way you're back to normal shareview behaviour).

Sounds easy when you say it quickly but I have no idea if all this is possible :D

Hope I'm understanding correctly

Of course this is just my humble opinion. I'm sure others will have better ideas.

Thanks again for working on this so quickly :D

All the best,

Mick.

Please if you can try this dll (it's for 1.2.0B) and see how it goes.

You can enter any pincode from protected video folders, and PIN will be active as long as you're in Database views (Title, Genres..), also it stays on video playback ends (only if during playback we didn't leave vdb views ie. jumped to another plugin or share view).

Share view PIN behavior was not changed.

Backup original WindowPlugins.dll in MP program /Plugins/Windows folder before replace.

Downloading now :D

Mick

Hi Deda,

Just did a quick test. It's working as follows for me

1. When entering videos I'm immediately prompted for a PIN.
    2. If I enter the PIN all movies are unlocked.
    3. If I don't enter a PIN I'm asked if I want to try again.
    4. If I say "No", movies in the unprotected folder are displayed.
    5. In order to access the protected movies I have to exit Videos, go back in and enter the PIN when prompted.
    6. When entering videos with a default view of Year, Genre or Actors, all lists are displayed until you select an item and then you are prompted for a pin. Should be OK unless your Actor images are umm... questionable ;)
    7. Shareview behaviour is (as you said) unchanged :).

Hope this is what you expected.

All the best,

Mick.

Edit: Also, just noticed that you do still get prompted to enter the pin again before playing a movie that's stored in a protected folder even after you've initially entered the pin to unlock. Think I see what you meant now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom