My videos - Problem with FFwd (1 Viewer)

micko

Portal Pro
May 27, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
TV-Server Version: TVEngineV3 + latest SVN
MediaPortal Version: MP 0.2.3 RC2 +latest SVN
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
HDD: 2xSamsung SATA2 500GB
Memory: 2GB DDR2
Motherboard: ASUS P5B-Plus
Motherboard Chipset: Intel P965
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 7600GS
Video Card Driver: ForceWare 169.25
Sound Card: SoundMax HD 82801H
Sound Card AC3: optical out
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD7
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow 20071227
MPEG4 Video Codec: CoreAVC 1.65
AC3/DTS Audio Codec: ACfilter 1.46
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

Latest SVN's have some issues when using FFwd in My Videos. First I was glad to see that screen update is finally working smoothly when forwarding at 2x speed. Only problem is returning to normal speed (pressing play), because FFwd won't stop.. speed is still 2x.

I attached full logs.. there is just some sample what I did:
Code:
2008-03-24 10:05:30.644663 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayer:SetRate to:15000   // set FFwd 2x speed - working great
2008-03-24 10:05:45.918663 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayer:SetRate to:30000   // set FFwd 4x speed - some screen update problems
2008-03-24 10:05:58.241663 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayer:SetRate to:10000   // back to play normally again - 2x speed remains

User funkychicken met same trouble:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...hot-03-23-2008-05-06h-revision-18207-a-37016/

Earlier I have told that I can't use FFwd because frames not updated (or updated rarely) and it's hard to skip something blindly. Now it seems to be fixed.. GREAT :) Only something with that returning to play normally again is wrong. That happens with both EVR and VMR9.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi micko

If you play a video file once this has happened in Windows media player, does it look like frames are missing and everything now jerky.

ps have same problem, just collecting more info how this is effecting things system wide.

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi Ray!

Thanks a lot for your interest. WMP plays video fine and so does MP if video is restarted. No any missing frames.

Btw I tried that video file in Media Player Classic, because playing speed can set. Pressing many times that increase playing speed button gives FFwd-like feature with quite good frame update rate.

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    ups. should be fixed in next svn.

edit: micko: you can press the button as many times as you want in MPC, but the playback won't get any faster :) it only supports the rates that the codec supports. if you see a difference, you are using different codecs.

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    ups. should be fixed in next svn.

:D GREAT!!!

edit: @micko: you can press the button as many times as you want in MPC, but the playback won't get any faster :) it only supports the rates that the codec supports. if you see a difference, you are using different codecs.

Yes you are right I tested it again :oops:. I use external codecs (CoreAVC in this case), but still I can increase speed only one step.. decrease have more steps (3?). That first time I did a quick test without sound.. maybe I accidentally pushed that decrease button first.. or not :)

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    :D

Installed latest SVN and playback rate now reset correctly :)

Using EVR and 2x rate seems to work quite well and frames updated fastly. Now I have to do some tests with my codecs to get other playback rates working better (4x at least). For example MPEG-2/divx working quite fine, but it's painful FFwd or FRev MPEG-4 AVC movies. CPU usage is beating up to 100% and frames not updated.. only time is running fine and video continues ok from that point when back to play again. Maybe only way to improve that is to get better HW support for MP4 movies.

Anyway that's a whole different story. That bug I reported is now fixed and thanks a lot for that Eabin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom