MySQL connection not allowed when using TV Server Configuration utility (1 Viewer)

DugieHowsa

Portal Member
February 26, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version: 1.0.0.0 RC2
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.0.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: Windows XP Home SP2
CPU Type: Intel Core2 Duo
HDD:
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard:
Video Card: GeForce 8500GT
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Vista View
1. TV Card Type: Saber DNA-1n1-I
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

After a fresh install {uninstall old instances of mediaportal, tvserver, mysql / delete program folders / reboot } of RC2, I was not able to log into the TV Server Configuration utility. I would receive the following error:

Connection Failed: Host 'mediapc' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL Server.

Only after performing the following commands and restarting the MySQL service, was I able to connect to the MySQL server and run the configuration utility:

mysql -u root
UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = PASSWORD('mediaportal') WHERE User = 'root';
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'mediaportal';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
exit

As this does not appear to be the most secure way of getting this to work, can the install process perform a better solution?

kaloschke

Portal Member
September 3, 2008
Hi,

I habe the same problem after an install of RC2 on a server 2003 with a running mysql-service and I don't want to change my passwort this way. Is there really no solution?

Regards Kaloschke

canarygsr

Portal Pro
October 23, 2007
Melbourne
Home Country
I have never had this problem, dont forget the capital M and P in the password......

PS I dont know anything about SQL, I just install M$ SQL manualy as per the guide in the WIKI

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    There have been lots of fixing around installation parameters for MySQL & latest test here didn't suffer from that, fresh installation using Deploy Tool did well, but i guess you wouldn't see that before RC3 it's out & can be tested ;)

I've also done a clean install of TV-Server & MP to a old db configuration & it didn't update root password when i selected have a own in deploy tool.

Regards
    Roy

jgvonk

Portal Member
    January 21, 2005
    Using MediaPortal with pleasure for a few years, lately the multiseat configuration. I reinstalled from scratch on a fresh XP pro, mainly because XP refused to hibernate and MediaPortal became less stable.
    Was enthousiastic about the new installer.
    Now I have exact the same problem as DugieHowsa.
    But I cannot connect to the myql database engine at all. I have no idea what username password combinations are available. I thought user 'root' with password 'MediaPortal' should allow access. DugieHowsa or somebody else: How can I connect to run the mysql -u ... command? The mysql command promt in the start menu starts asking me for a password. Whitch one, it magically disappears when I select MediaPortal
    The Mysql Windows service is running.

solved it, by choosing ms-sql teasure (EXPRESS) databaseengine (who would expect that????), only after de-installing mysql, and re-run the mediaportal installer. I had to de-install and re-install MS_SQL express as well because the first time the password 'MediaPortal' was not strong enough. The installer is great, with still room for improvement, like more refined retry, step back options with possibilities to retry with other user data entered.
    Before I gave in on mysql and went to ms-sql I got the mysql -u root .... sort of working (I could update the root user password). the mysql command was in my path variable after halfway finishing the mysql engine wizard in the start menu. (That wizard failed on a wrong password entered for root user. I have a feeling that the databases have never been populated in mysql
    Unfortunately, the sql query that should have granted privileges brough my mysql database server in a state where it refused to start.
    Keep up the good work MediaPortal developpers, I hope that writing down my experiences help others to reduce installation time even more.
    By the way, I know from experience that mysql is a great project and product too.

Cojun

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MySQL connection not allowed when using TV Server Configuration utility

Hi,

in some cases, you configured your computer with a specific computer name like "tvserver" or something else. In this case, MYSQL will not allow the connection from this hostname because you can only connect from "localhost" in the default settings.

How to solve this problem:

1. Install MySQL GUI-Tools
    2. Open MySQL-Administrator login to MySQL
    3. Click on User administration
    4. On the left lower site you will find a user list. Find the user wich Mediaportal should use to connect. Right click on that username an choose "Add new host" (or something like this).
    5. Now provide the hostname of your computer (e.g. tvserver)

Ready!
    MP can now connect to MySQL

Cheers

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom