Mystery: what codec is being used? (1 Viewer)

MungoBBQ

Portal Member
January 21, 2005
Hey guys,

I've got a weird problem. For some reason, a lot of DIV-X/XVID video files have started having extreme stuttering during playback. Not all of them, but some.

The stuttering is present in MP, but also if I play the file using WMP, so my guess is that is has something to do with what codec I'm using.

Now I'm trying to find out what is causing this. And so I uninstalled Div-X and FFDShow from my computer. GSpot is now telling me "No codec found" for the video files. However, I can still play them! And it's still stuttering! So somewhere, somehow, I've got a codec installed that seems to be causing this problem, and this codec needs to go!

But how do I find out what codec is being used and how can I uninstall it!??

I'm grateful for any help here!

/M;

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    One thing you could try is GraphEdit - open GraphEdit and under "File" select "Render Media File". Select one of the video files that is giving you the stuttering and GraphEdit will build the graph that WMP would use to play that file - that should indicate what video filter is being involked.... :)

Then you can use Radlight Filter Manager to change the "Merit" of the filters so that your preferred filter is always used.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi MungoBBQ

ok have you tried installing divx5.2 and xvid codecs on their own as i believe they are very stable.
    i know their have been reports of ffdshow and divx6 causing problems on certain setups, and as they say never use a codecpack and what is ffdshow.

Ray 8)

MungoBBQ

Portal Member
    January 21, 2005
    Thanks.

I managed to solve this by uninstalling every single codec I could, including Intervideo and NVIDIA MPEG2 codecs among others. After that, I could no longer play the DivX files, so obviously I had gotten rid of the culprit.

Then I installed a new FFDShow and it is now working great!

snewman

Portal Member
    January 30, 2006
    Australia
    Thanks MungoBBQ - I have already installed 2004-11-24 and thats working well.

I'll have a look at the release notes for 2005-12-21 and see what the differences are.

--

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom