Mythtv -> Media Portal (1 Viewer)

would you like any of these features, choose your favorite!

• 2. the timeshift/livetv question

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. quality modes in recordings

• 6. auto/hotkeys for zoom mode

• 7. hotkey for tv-guide

• 8. tv-guide search

• Total voters

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
swinghead said:
i have had a look at mythTV... MP can all what mythTV can.

Seriously, are you trying to say that media portal can do everything mythtv can ?

Media portal is nice, and it even have som features mythtv doesn't have, but all in all mythtv is more advanced.

when it comes to the suggestions/requests I posted here, it's true as Frodo says MP does support some of it, but imho with all respect to the developers it could be done better.

1. Media portal does make folders out of shows when there is more than one show recorded. That's nice, but why is there a date on the folder corresponding to the first show recorded ? But still... it's there #1 should be removed from the list.

4. Although you can change these settings from the schedule menu, it seems as if you have to make the change for every single recording !?!? Is there a way to set all my simpsons to low quality, and not have to make the changes for every new episode ?

7. Not only would it be nice to be able to enter tv-guide without the need to "turn on" the tv, but it would be nice to enter the archive of you recordings directly. My computer sometimes for whatever reason takes maybe 10-15 seconds to enter "My TV", and all I wanted was to watch a recording not live tv.

8. I really can't find a place to type in "simpsons" en get a list of all simpsons episodes from all channels !! Can someone help me out?

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
but imho with all respect to the developers it could be done better

Myth has had time to mature into the product that is today whilst MP is constantly being improved upon and, after the same period of development as Myth has enjoyed so far, will be way ahead of all others.

People please remember than MediaPortal is currently at version 0.1.3, not 1.3 as many would appear to see it.

KRA: I honestly believe there would be more value to you posting some of your thoughts as individual feature requests as opposed to using the challenge/debate style present in this thread.

Cheers,
Smirnoff.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    KRA said:
    8. I really can't find a place to type in "simpsons" en get a list of all simpsons episodes from all channels !! Can someone help me out?
    '

Search button in My TV.

maxtrash

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2004
    Tilburg, Netherlands
    Smirnoff said:
    but imho with all respect to the developers it could be done better

Myth has had time to mature into the product that is today whilst MP is constantly being improved upon and, after the same period of development as Myth has enjoyed so far, will be way ahead of all others.

People please remember than MediaPortal is currently at version 0.1.3, not 1.3 as many would appear to see it.

KRA: I honestly believe there would be more value to you posting some of your thoughts as individual feature requests as opposed to using the challenge/debate style present in this thread.
    First of all I don't think mediaportal lovers should be defensive. Everyone knows it's a great application with a fabulous future so why bother with all sorts of messages like 'I would like this and that'. As a developer I would just do one thing: the thing that satisfies me the most for intrinsic reasons, not for pleasing anyone else.
    Secondly I would say that it's very sensible to take the good things about any other software package. In the Netherlands there is a figure of speech 'beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht' which means something like it's better to steal a good idea than to make up a bad one yourself.
    Now that I think of it, I could even imagine a number of (sticky) threads for each colleague-application (MCE, Mythtv, showshifter etc.)

Just my 2cts, don’t want to offend anyone (please)

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    maxtrash said:
    In the Netherlands there is a figure of speech 'beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht' which means something like it's better to steal a good idea than to make up a bad one yourself.

Kinda like "Why reinvent the wheel?" :)

gds

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2004
    Italy
    Secondly I would say that it's very sensible to take the good things about any other software package. In the Netherlands there is a figure of speech 'beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht' which means something like it's better to steal a good idea than to make up a bad one yourself.
    Now that I think of it, I could even imagine a number of (sticky) threads for each colleague-application (MCE, Mythtv, showshifter etc.)

Well, that really seems a great idea to me. I can imagine two thread like:
    1 - "MP vs the rest of the world - feature set";
    2 - "MP vs the rest of the world - user interface";
    using them to schematically point out what features MP has compared to the competing products and how they are implemented in the user interface. Maybe if we attach a poll to it, we could have MP user base drive both features addiction process and user interface refinement by just voting... Frodo, what do you think about it?

KRA

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    a bit OT here but...

There's one way to the top (genreally, if youre into sports, a business man, a programmer, whatever....)

1. Allways look for someone that's better than you
    2. When! (not if) you find them, find out what they are doing that makes them better.
    3. Find out how you can improve on what they are doing and make it even better.

imo having forum members point out what other software does better, collecting and sorting this info, and make the users vote what they would like implemented is golden for the future development of media portal.

You have to look at it as a way of getting better, not a pissing contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom