NAS/Router as DVB-IP "TV-server" for Mediaportal clients?!? (1 Viewer)

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi All.

The last couple of months I have come to the conclusion of seperating my TV-server from my Client - this to ensure 24/7 environment for future TV-clients and centralizing hardware.

If running 24/7, I prefer a very minimized and low power Consuming Tv-server - Since TV-server is not Linux compatible - Low power CPU's like ARM is not an option.

Then I came up with the following theory.

Can a NAS server or a linux compatible Router with USB ports do the TV distribution?

I will still have to install TV-server on each client - but all streaming will be from central router/NAS through DVB-IP

Install 1-2 Terratec DVB-C USB HD sticks on the NAS/Router.

Install Mumudvb (MuMuDVB | a DVB IPTV streaming free software) - This software can redistribute a DVB source to DVB-IP.

The above will minimize hardware usage, power consumption and can basically replace my file infrastructure as well.

What is your thoughts on this idea - Is it even possible?

Mumudvb is confirmed working with NSLU on DVB-T - MuMuDVB and OpenWRT | MuMuDVB

/Morten

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Morten

Interesting idea. :)
    I guess the key thing would be to confirm that a Mumudvb DVB-IP stream is compatible with TV Server. If that is the case then I don't see any reason why you couldn't carry out your plan...

mm

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    At the moment I have several questions, if this is even possible at all.

1)Is the NAS/Router hardware even capable of redistributing 2 x USB-tuners and 1-4 channels within its limited CPU performance?

2) How well is DVB-C tv-tuner hardware even supported on Linux Distro's - Especially on NAS and Router-based linux distros

3) Mumudvb can handle 2 Tuners on 2 processes - But is Mediaportal capable of mapping channels into 2 different DVB-IP streams? (To support multiple client on streming on 2 transponders)

4)Can mumudvb handle DVB-EPG - and next - Can Mediaportal handle EPG through DVB-IP?

5)Overall installation on command line based linux distro. Have no ideas, how to compile drivers or software to specific linux distros.

Please feel free to add your comments, ideas or answers:)

/Morten

uggabugga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 21, 2007
    QXQgaG9tZSA7LSk=
    Home Country
    I was wondering the exact same thing the other day.
    I owned a Synology box. And we are many who have thought that idea, apparently... :)

Look here: TV Station
    #eversteegt got something to work on his DS 710+ and made a how-to guide(I'm no linux guru, so it looks a bit challenging for me. But I'm always up for a good challenge, except I lack the hardware(my Synology "just" broke after many years of loyal service) ;).

This HDHomeRun looks like something that would be ideal in Denmark(DVB-C unencrypted) with one input and two outputs and they support MP too :)

Well, this is definitely an interesting subject.
    :D

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    uggabugga> I know of HDhomerun - I can highly recommend this product to others.......But I will like to go bit further:) (More power/cost effecient & technical flexible).

The forum thread from synology is quite interesting - According to the user mafiltenborg, the CPU usage is very low - even for a Router!

DVBlast or TVHeadend is maybe also an option to use...........Tvheadend seems to be woring fine on DS710+

/Morten

DOH...........Just found out, that my Terratec USB HTC HD Stick does not have any linux drivers yet........source code has not yet been released:-(

Can't even start testing on my old Asus router or an old intel P4 :-(

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    No - Not at the moment - There is still no Linux drivers for my USB Terratec DVB-C receiver :-(

But I have seen a thread on the synology forums, where a user have connected his Sundtek DVB-C receiver to a Synology NAS, and recording 3 channels(on same transponder using TVheadend)......So it works on an Atom 1.6 Ghz processor!

But I doubt, that even new routers are capable of even broadcasting 1 DVB-C channel :-(

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewt...sid=6a881467c677293dec4d778e58267565&start=45

/Morten

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom