Need an Audio Guru!! (1 Viewer)

captainflash

Portal Member
April 26, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello! I am currently rocking the Logitech z5500s and I like them quite a bit but I am wanting to eventually upgrade to a more professional style audio setup. I came across a receiver that pretty much just blows my mind (I don't know that much about audio stuff so it wasn't hard to do) but I wanted some other opinions on it to know for sure.

The receiver I was looking at is the Sunfire Theater Grand III (TGR-3), it's a 7.1 channel receiver with an outstanding 200 watts per channel!

Here is a link to it from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Sunfire Theater Grand III (TGR-3) Black 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver: Electronics

Not much technical specs on it from Amazon so here is another link as well:
Sunfire Theater Grand Receiver-3 Review - Reviewboard.com

These are the speakers I had planned to pair it with. Again, I don't know that much about audio stuff so if my speakers that I picked out appear like an utterly stupid choice or you know something else that's better for around the same money, please let me know!!!

I chose something like this for front left/right and rear left/right:
Polk Audio - Triple 5-1/4" 2-Way Floor Speakers (Each) - Black - TSI400 BLACK

I chose this for the center speaker:
RC-52 --- Center Channel,Klipsch Reference Series

I chose this for the subwoofer, starting out with one, eventually I might buy two of them:
Klipsch - 12" 650W Powered Subwoofer - SUB-12

That would put me up to 5.1 sound, which is probably where I will shoot for first, as this is going to cost some serious coin to begin with :)

If there are any audio gurus out there that could give me their opinion on this setup I would greatly appreciate it!!

bazzz

Portal Pro
March 29, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Home Country
Canada Canada
I guess it depends how much difference you really think different amplifiers make. Despite what some manufacturers would like you to believe, the task of amplifying an electrical signal (and maybe converting it from a digital format) isn't quite rocket science. I'm sure the choice of speakers is more important. So long as the amplifier can supply sufficient power to drive the speakers, I'd be surprised if there is much difference in terms of sound.

You can usually get great deals on the previous generation of Sony receivers whenever they bring out a new model line (which happens quite frequently).

ABX Double Blind Test Results: Power Amps

Of course, the best thing to do is to try to listen to different things in person, ideally not knowing which you're listening to at any one time.

captainflash

Portal Member
April 26, 2008
Home Country
Thanks for the response! I don't know of any place around where I live that would have this high of quality of stereo equipment so it will likely be difficult for me to listen to it in person, but that would definitely be ideal :). Anyone actually heard this receiver or have any other suggestions?

sagara0

July 16, 2008
Home Country
Having lurked over at Home Theater Forum for many moons, I 'd say that Sunfire is an excellent name, audio-wise. If you care to ask over there you'll get plenty of advice, most of it far more expert than mine. :) I seem to recall that little crossed-out MSRP of $4999 as just about what it was going for not so long ago.

For the speakers though, if you haven't bought them yet you might want to change a couple of things around. For home theater, it's generally considered important to have what's known as "timbre-matched" center and main (L/R) speakers. The reason for this is that different makes and models of speaker respond differently to the amp's signal, and since soundtracks frequently pan back and forth across the front 3 speakers, this can cause jarring changes in what you're hearing, instead of a smooth transition from one to another.

Also, given that the Polk mains are only 2-way, you may get more bang for your buck if you get a setup of higher-end bookshelf speakers for now, and then pick up some 3-way floorstanders when you get the chance to move to 7.1

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

Edit: Just did a little bit of deeper digging on the receiver. Looks like part of the reason that it's on sale is that the HDMI ports will take a max resolution of 1080i, no 1080p, and if you think you might be investing in Blu-Ray anytime soon, it won't decode any of the newer surround formats. (Dolby TrueHD, etc.) On the other hand, if you're not going to route your video through it, and/or are sticking to DVD or TV-based HD, you should be fine.

captainflash

Portal Member
April 26, 2008
Home Country
Thank you so much for your excellent post! I do not plan to run video through the receiver, just audio, so i'm not worried about that. Can you tell me the difference between "2 way" and "3 way" speakers? Probably a noob question but I'm not sure what they are referring to when they reference speakers like that :) . Thanks again for your post, excellent feedback.

littlematt

Portal Pro
October 1, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Just to throw a potential spanner in the works.... I have a dual channel power amp (parasound) running direct off my audio card. You can get some pretty good sound cards that provide a line level (1v) output. Ive got an m-audio revolution which I believe rates pretty high. Only lets you have two speakers, but you only got two ears right? Personally I think 5.1/7.1 is over rated. Especially for listening to music... With my setup I only need one remote, for mediaportal. I have to manually turn on my amp but thats no biggie for me. And best of all it keeps things real simple! And you can spend more on a good quality pair of speakers rather than the the same amount of 5 speakers. Mine are 15 inch cerwin vega 3 ways which kind of nullifies the need for a sub. Pretty huge but they do the job and some. Turned even halfway up you are hit by a wall of sound and the need for centre/back speakers becomes pointless as you're drowning in it ha! I think a 5.1/7.1 reciever just overcomplicates things. Everything you need (radio/dvd playback/music etc) is build right into mediaportal so why pay more for stuff you dont need? Dont have a cd player/dvd player or anything. Just my HTPC and power amp. Two cables to the TV (power and DVI)... still gotta get around to making a custom cabinet for them... better do that soon as my wee girl is gonna be mobile soon. Anyway thats my $0.02. Good luck!

captainflash

Portal Member
April 26, 2008
Home Country
Thanks for the response! I currently have a 5.1 setup and I like it a lot, especially for playing games and watching movies. It's always funny to be playing a game with some friends and then watch them freak out when they discover their is a surround sound speaker behind them :)

bolders

Portal Pro
February 1, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi mate

The setup u choose (i.e. 2 channel or 5.1 etc) is really dependant on what ur planned usage is. For music I would agree with mattlittle - 2 channel is the way to go however for movies and stuff 5.1 surround or better is definately the way to go imo - the dedicated sub channel alone is worth it.
If ur looking at av amps its probably worth looking at ones which can handle newer hd audio formats as well as dts & dd5.1 etc and also has hdmi inputs - havent looked at the specs of the one you have listed so cant comment on it but most new av amps that are half decent come with these.

Im currently using an onkyo TX-SR 606 amp and think its brilliant and has all the relevant specs - onkyo are definately worth having a look at. Im also looking to change my speakers to some monitor audio BR5s. But this is my personal preference that comes from going to a decent hi-fi shop and listening to lots of gear. So that really is my best advice - if ur paying a decent sum of money for your setup (which it looks like u are) then go to a decent hi-fi shop and demo lots of amps & speakers with music and films u know, take plenty of time (if ur made to feel uncomfortable or rushed then its not a good hi-fi shop - but dont choose busy periods such as a saturday) , ask lots of questions and make ur choice on what sounds best to you as it really is very subjective.

I currently run an hdmi connection from [ pc > amp > tv ] which i think is the best option as it gets any analogue audio away from the electrical noise of the PC (even better if u can also get bit perfect audio from the pc and use FLAC files combined with EAC ripping software)

Finally 2 way speakers simply use 2 drivers the frequency is split into bass and treble - bass to the big driver and treble to the very small one)
3-way speakers use 3 drivers for bass, mid & treble - it does not mean its better or worse as there are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches - again judge by the sound and nothing else and you will be happy with what you get.

There really is too much that can be said in a post so research, read hi-fi mags and goto reputable hi-fi shops and ask lots of questions.

hope u r happy with what you end up with (I love my stereo and i am sure it will last me for years and im sure you will too if you just spend your time to listen :) )

bolders

sagara0

July 16, 2008
Home Country
Edit: Oops, didn't see your post there bolders. Sorry for the duplication.

captainflash:

Glad to have helped. To your question about the difference between 2-way and 3-way, the 2-way speakers have a crossover that splits the sound so that the high frequencies go to your tweeter, and the mid to low frequencies go to the woofers. So even if you've got 3-4 woofers on the speaker, they're all playing the same sound. 3-ways separate highs, mids, and lows each to separate drivers or sets of drivers. This (in theory) lets you cover a greater range of sound without losing fidelity since each driver in the speaker is covering a narrower spectrum of sound.

MattLittle:

Hey, if the stereo setup works for you and you're happy with it, don't let anybody tell you need more. Good sound is where you find it.

For me though, I'm totally hooked on surround, even the extra complexity is just more stuff for me to play with.

captainflash

Portal Member
April 26, 2008
Home Country
Excellent thanks for the input guys. I think I really do just need to go to a nice audio/video shop and listen for myself, as I'm guessing I am looking way too high end for myself right now. I live in a small town so I will have to travel a few hours to find a shop, but if I am going to drop that kind of coin I guess it will be worth it :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom