Codecs Need Codec Help (1 Viewer)

Cook

Portal Member
December 6, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi Team!
I need help/info on making my final codec choices before installing them.

Here is my basic layout:
1) Windows 7 (64 bit)
2) i5-760 CPU
3) nVidia gt-430 (HDMI with HD-audio bitstreaming capability)
4) TMT3 installed, but no other additional codecs or codec packs
5) PC is hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo HT-RC260 receiver (with all the HD-audio decoding capabilities)

I have done TONS of reading about bitstreaming, and it has been helpful.
I have reviewed the guide for "bitstreaming from Xonar" and the SAF 4.0/5.0 threads
But before I start the work, I wanted to get the latest input from the group.

I want to bitstream everything DD, DTS, DTS-HD Master, TrueHD, etc. from within Media Portal.
As of now, I am having MePo pull up TMT3 for my M2TS and MKV files.
(which TMT3 currently down-mixes from AC3 to 2-channel PCM on me :mad:).
I have not tried anything with HD-audio yet.

So here are my questions:
1) Since I have the gt-430, are there any new/different things to consider?
2) Do I really need SAF, or would the latest ffdshow be enough (with DXVA hardware support)?
3) For the Audio Renderer, should I just register the one for TMT3? Why isn't the renderer shown in the SAF guides?
4) What is the best way to back up my blu-rays (M2TS files, MKV files, full folder structure) with these goals in mind?

Any help you could provide would be helpful and appreciated.
I want to have my plan totally formulated before regretting codecs and having a nightmare uninstalling them.

Thanks!
Cook

:D

ced007

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Haute-Savoie
Home Country
France France
Hi Cook,
1) I don't think there is something special to consider.
2) I am a fan of SAF (I use SAF 5 unlock). This is an easy way to install all the codecs you need in one pack. You can then use the default settings or make the adjustments you want in ffdshow (i.e. on my side I have the DTS in passthrough and the other are remixed in 5.1). I personally use PDVD10 (included in SAF 5 unlock) for HD content (video and TV) because it works very well with my config.
3) The audio renderer: the best thing to do is to test several to find the one that works the best for you. On my side I have tested the "Default direct sound", the "Mepo Audio Renderer" (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...renderer-better-video-playback-quality-84441/), the "Reclock audio renderer" and I finally obtained the best result with the "Realtek HD audio" renderer with the DLL of the "Mepo Audio Renderer" version 20.
4) I would suggest MKV which is a very interesting container, correctly handled by MePo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom