Need for Speed (for video conversion) (1 Viewer)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I build myself a nice new office PC, see specs in attachment.

Since it is my home office PC, I don't really use it for MP except for testing purposes and to manage the remote Media and TV server. But I do use it for video conversion. I'm converting my DVD collection (VIDEO_TS folders) to .mkv files.

I'm sure the following experience is nothing new and nothing shocking but I thought it is worth sharing anyway.

I started out with the stock cooler that came with the i7. It turns out that I couldn't get close to the processors potential with that cooler. I use handbreak to convert, handbrake effectively uses all four cores and all 8 threads. Technically cool but physically hot. The cores quickly came up to 100 C and then the clock automatically went down to 2.6 GHz.

I have replaced the stock cooler with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus and now the cores nicely stay around 60 C while the processor keeps running at 4.2 Ghz (MSI overclock feature). A full length movie get's converted in about 20 minutes. Check out the screen dumps.

:D It's the cheapest component in the build that makes the difference :D

Notes:
    The stock cooler comes with coolant paste applied, when I removed the stock cooler it showed that that cooling paste gave a very poor thermal contact area. Probably the stock cooler could have done better with additional paste applied.

I ran into a compatibility problem between the CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced case and the MSI motherboard. The opening in the case to access the back of the processor area does not line up with the processor. So I had to remove the mother board to be able to fix the cooler bracket. Not a big deal, but a nuisance.

VdR

Attachments

• Encoding with stock cooler.jpg
      Encoding with stock cooler.jpg
      376.3 KB
    • Encoding with CM cooler.JPG
      Encoding with CM cooler.JPG
      292.2 KB
    • Advanced Office Desktop.ppt
      3.5 MB

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'd like to edit the message above, but the edit button is not visible ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom